1911 Census.co.uk blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census.co.uk blog

I was referred to this site following a request for help with this census.
    Having visited the Site, I'm no wiser or very stupid.....'erself thinks it's the latter.

What is it you want to know Alan? Put it up and maybe someone can answer for you.
    Kit

Comment

You might be better off here Alan?
      1911 on fmp
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I was checking whereabouts of a grandparent but I can search for free, just been unable to find on new census even with suggestion of the 'famous' full stop in surname box.

Comment

The "fullstop" trick only works if you have already found one name plus location and want to know who else was there.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I at last found the remaining family I've been looking for, they should have been in Poplar and I thought I'd have to resort to to looking at addresses I have for them either side of 1911 BUT they seem to be wth the great aunts in West Ham. Now I just have to wait until I get paid to download the images.

Teresa

Comment

Alan, if you put up the details of who you're searching for, maybe someone will have better luck searching. But bear in mind that some counties haven't been loaded onto the database yet.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                The "fullstop" trick only works if you have already found one name plus location and want to know who else was there.
                It doesn't do it for me ! Found a 6-year old by using real name but cannot find any other members of the family - there were 3 other siblings (all older) plus parents but none come up with the ' full-stop ' or real names. Judging by the complaints I've read on this and other sites, this is so " hit & miss " it's disgraceful that they are charging so much. Would have been better if they'd delayed it and got it right !

Comment

BC

I'm cross too! I've now wasted a total of 90 credits.

I tried the fullstop trick and it didn't work for me. Well, it did in a way I suppose as I managed to pull up all the William Whittakers, none of whom had anyone recognisable living with them.

One in Prestwich district seemed right and assuming he was at home alone, I looked at the image. Wrong man and the district may have been Prestwich, but the address was Failsworth and had I been able to get that bit free I would have known it wasn't him.

I then pulled up another, rightish area, wife's name correct and one daughter. Ages were wrong though, but I was hoping it was an error! Wrong again.

I then opted for the cheaper transcriptions but still haven't found one of the four family members. I KNOW where they were living in 1911, but even abandoning that address and supposing they had gone on hols, I still cannot find them.

Making stabs in the dark is really not a satisfactory way of searching when you have to pay for the results. think I'll leave this for now, but I'm still cross!

OC

Comment

Oooh... I just had a senior moment and searched for OH's grandma using her maiden name in the 'other members of household' box instead of her married name and it found the family.

Update.....very odd, using that search method doesn't find my grandparents.
                    Last edited by HeatherD; 19-01-09, 19:03.
                    Heather

Comment

Alan, there are mistranscriptions in this census same as all the others, which might be why you can't find your family.
                      Mavis
                      Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        It also enables you to search with only a Christian name, and no surname.

Comment

Bear in mind that searching for other family members is never going to be foolproof.

For example, if you search for a household in Sheffield where one member is called Jane Briggs, the search results will lump together all the households in Sheffield containing a Jane Briggs, and there's no way of knowing who belongs to which household without getting the transcription.

Comment

You can sort them out by repeating your search putting in a different name each time, e.g. if your Jane search gives a list of Briggs including Andrew, Betty, Charles, David, Edward, Fred, George, Henry, Isabel, then repeat the search but specify that the household has to contain an Isabel Briggs, and so on, if you get what I mean.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, true, although you may still get overlaps with other households if there aren't many people in the household and the names are duplicated in the same town.

Comment

Of course it does help if you are sure of a place of birth and can translate it into a p.o.b. that's been indexed.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

OC you have my sympathy - 90 credits is no small amount if you get nil results. That's why I tried the Index first - suspected it was a rush job that might be problematical. Also wondering what happens about credits if family is split over 2 pages as in earlier Censi. Does this mean more credits required even though the same family or am I misunderstanding the system ? All I wanted was to see if there were any other children who had been born/died between 1901 and 1911. As patience is apparently a virtue, I shall wait until it is released ' properly '.

BC

Comment

BC, what you get to see is the actual householder's form, so the only way it can be split over 2 pages is if it is a very large household - I suppose if you are related to royalty you might get that problem, lol. Otherwise I think it is only going to be a problem if you are looking for a family who are all in the workhouse.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

It also doesn't help when searching if a mother puts down the wrong place of birth for her son!!!

Luckily found Mother and Son but not the husband

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Kite Runner, thanks for that info: BTW, I've always thought I should be related to royalty but as a lot of mine came from your part of the country it's more likely to be Robin Hood ! As only one name - totally correct spelling and age - comes up I can only assume this was an infant prodigy who had sent the others to the workhouse and was totally self-supporting !!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X