Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1911 census - last piece of the jigsaw??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census - last piece of the jigsaw??

I was wondering if the 1911 census has finally solved a family mystery for you, and has been the final piece of the jigsaw to complete a family story.

For me it was discovering that my great grandmother's sister was childless, ending any future hopes of contacting anymore living relatives on that side of the family.

Not a family mystery as such, but my OH's Grandfather died 11 weeks after OH's Dad was born. I knew that the three children were put into a home so his Grandmother could go to work and they stayed there until she found another husband in 1919.

I always wondered how soon they were put into care, but have found them all together with mum on the 1911, so she managed to keep them with her for a while at least. I could imagine the agony she would have felt, firstly losing her husband and then having to part with three toddlers, one only 11 weeks old.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Yes. I was wondering how my (widowed) Great Grandmother met her 2nd husband in 1911 and married him on Xmas Day 1911.

Her 1st husband (my Great Grandfather) died in mid Feb 1911 - they had 3 young sons. Clearly the remaining family then moved and just down the new address road..............is husband number 2 !

That doesn't exactly answer 'exactly how' they met - but gives enough info to expand on possible theories.

A great surprise and well worth the £3 to see 2nd husband on the 1911 Census.

Comment

It did explain why I couldn't find a birth certificate for my grandfather as his "parents" declared no children born to the marriage. His adoption does seem to mean that I won't be able to trace that line back as he was born c1876.

A disappointing find but at least it's a brick wall that I dion't have to worry about.
        Robert

Comment

The 1911 census threw up more confusion than help for me.
          Two of my great uncles seem to enjoy lying. One says he's divorced - I can find no marriage or divorce for him and the other says he's been married to a woman for 3 years - again, no marriage. He also says her daughter is by her first husband and he'd been dead for three years before she was born!!!! Still trying to find out what happened to husband number 2 ..... no divorce or death that I can find.

The rest were pretty much where I knew they'd be.

Viv
          ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

I suddenly managed to make a breakthrough with my BiL's tree - I was stuck on one of his grandfathers, because he and his parents are missing from the 1891, he's with his mother (married) but no father in 1901, and I had no idea who she married. I found a likely candidate, but there was no matching birth for the mother.

However, the 1911 gave me her correct birthplace, the likely marriage fits perfectly, and as her family lived in the same small village for centuries I was able to take his tree back 200 years in one fell swoop. I've only done it with IGI extracted entries so far, which obviously need confirming with parish records etc., but the ones I've been able to check against the early censuses have all been correct.

The village is an interesting one, because it's right next to Bosworth Field, where the Battle of Bosworth took place.

Still haven't found his great-grandfather. There is a William who seems to be perfect, because a woman with the same name as his sister married the man who was great-granny's lodger in 1901, but William's sister and the lodger's wife have entirely different birthplaces. Still trying to work that one out.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-01-09, 12:08.

Comment

*suspects Velma of fishing for more magazine article!*

I have not needed to look at any images - I have no recent mysteries to solve in the counties that are available.

I have looked at the free index though and thought anyone who had read this article of mine in the Magazine Caroline's Family History Pages - Granny’s postcard collection would be interested to know that YES! my Granny and her sister 'Spide' are still in Penzance on the night of the 1911 census. If I hadn't had the collection of postcards I would never have known about their stay there!

Anne

Comment

Quite the opposite for me, I'm afraid - every entry I've found seems to have created new mysteries instead of solving any!
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And I'm still waiting to have a stab at mine, especially Northumberland.

East Riding would be useful too, although it won't solve any mysteries.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I was prompted to look again for the aftermath of my g-g-aunt's reputed bigamous marriage in 1904 (Charles James Villiers to Marie Bilger). No sign of a likely Charles in 1911 and Marie seems to have reverted to her maiden name and gone back to being a house servant in West Ham. The house servant bit is speculation, but the other names in the household (using the dot trick) ring no bells.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I had thought the 1911 would hold nothing of interest for me as all my family lines had emigrated before that time.

However, I have been looking, unsuccessfully, for the death of my OH's gt grandmother in Australia, and theorised she might have returned to England, as I knew two of her unmarried daughters had been living in Bournemouth with an unmarried cousin. As the name is not very uncommon, I have hesitated to apply for certificates.

By dint of applying Smiley Sammy's (.), I have now located her in the same 1911 household as her daughters and am now about to apply for a death cert with reasonable confidence I have the correct lady.

Beverley

Comment

I'd had a huge question mark over my husbands gr-grandfather,John Larkin.
                        I thought I'd got the right man but hubby's uncle told me he was definately Irish and the man I'd found was from Darlaston,Staffordshire.
                        I'd traced my Darlaston John's family through various censuses and felt sure he was the right man but couldn't be sure until the 1911 census when I should find John with his wife Ellen...

HURRAH!...I've got the right man and just to be sure,he's there with my hubby's grandad as a baby.

Sandra.
                        Sandra:smilee:

Comment

I've just got back from St Leonards on Sea in Sussex, Granny was not with her family in Rustington in 1911, her father was away at sea, her stepmother had a 2 week old baby, her brother & younger sisters were there, but Granny turned up as a parlourmaid aged 15 in St Leonards.

It's a nice looking house, her employer was a 76 year old widow with an adult daughter, two other servants. One of granny's empoyers used to hide pennies under the rugs to test her honesty - I wonder if it was this one? Granny had a penny drilled and nailed it to the floor under the rug when she left:D

Comment

Great stories everyone... now who would like to write up theirs for the magazine??... ;)

The deadline's 18th February

Comment

Lol!
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                *suspects Velma of fishing for more magazine article!*
                                You win first prize :D:D
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yey!! I can spot a fishing excercise! :D:D

Anne

Comment

You guys aren't going to make this easy for me are you? :D ;)

OK, watch your inboxes!

Comment

LOL!! Rach

I at last have found my gran that I was estranged from, and her sister(s) one of which I knew of, BUT ONE I DIDNT... am now gonna have to contact my aunt(s) (her daughters) to see if they know anything of this new 'sister'....... I suspect my gran named her first born after her two sisters (that she spent time in the orphanage with)
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

No it hasn't!!!

If any remembers my pesky Pullens from posts about a year ago (!) including a WDWTYA win (Mary Poppins will - she got as confused as me with this family). My half sister's grandfather's birth was a toss up between 3, due to none of them having the father's name he gave on his marriage cert!

James Edward Pullen who married Emily in 1909 in Barking, Essex & had their first child in 1912 (of course) in West Ham. But the only 2 likely James Pullen in 1911 are unmarried & no Emily Pullen exists, so I'm going to have to wait until it's not on credits so I can do loads of possible mistranscription searches.!!!
                                        Mavis
                                        Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X