HMS Barham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMS Barham

Does anyone have access to any documents that will give an age or DOB of Thomas Burn who was lost on HMS Barham in 1941 please? All we know is that he died at sea when the ship was hit, and that he 'may have' been born in /south Shields.
    I've found lots of info on the internet regarding the sinking of the Barham, but I can't see any ages of the men that were lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Do you have his mother's maiden name? On FreeBMD there are several Thomas Burns born in South Shields in the likely timeframe.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

His entry on Commonwealth war graves gives details

BURN, THOMAS
      Initials: T
      Nationality: United Kingdom
      Regiment/Service: Royal Navy
      Unit Text: H.M.S. Barham.
      Date of Death: 25/11/1941
      Service No: P/J 78275
      Awards: Mentioned in Despatches
      Additional information: Son of Henry and Ellen Burn; husband of Ellen Louise Burn, of Portsea, Hampshire.
      Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
      Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 47, Column 2.
      Memorial: PORTSMOUTH NAVA
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post

BURN, THOMAS
        Additional information: Son of Henry and Ellen Burn; husband of Ellen Louise Burn, of Portsea, Hampshire.
        You are a wonderful person Ann, thank you millions. x
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
          Do you have his mother's maiden name? On FreeBMD there are several Thomas Burns born in South Shields in the likely timeframe.

Unfortunately we dont have that info, only his sons etc. I thought there were too many on there to even start sifting through them. Appreciate all the help I can get on this one.

Thank you
          Jules

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post

BURN, THOMAS
            How odd, his wife Ellen Louise had parents called Henry and Ellen. ?!
            Jules

Comment

At least we know he was born circa 1900, if the CWGC info. is correct. And there are only 2 plain Thomas Burns in County Durham in 1900 +/-, both of whom are registered 1900 and in South Shields.

q1 1900 South Shields 10a 858

q4 1900 South Shields 10a 475
              Last edited by Uncle John; 16-01-09, 21:05.

Comment

I can't see any obvious Henry + Ellen + Thomas families in the 1901 census.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  I can't see any obvious Henry + Ellen + Thomas families in the 1901 census.
                  Hmm me neither. I wonder if its a mistake and they have used the wife's parents instead of his. Do you think that's feasible?
                  Jules

Comment

Here's the Mention in Dispatches (SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 FEBRUARY, 1942 p554) - but no detail, I'm afraid:
                    Gazette Website: PDF Navigator

Able Seaman Thomas Burn, P/J.78275,
                    H.M.S. Barham.
                    The previous page explains the basis of the awards being given out, but no individual details attributed.
                    The KING- has been graciously pleased to
                    give orders for the following Appointments to
                    the Distinguished Service Order, and to
                    approve the following Reward and Awards:

For bravery and enterprise in the Battle of
                    Cape Matapan:
                    Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-01-09, 21:30.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      Here's the Mention in Dispatches (SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 FEBRUARY, 1942 p554) - but no detail, I'm afraid:
                      Gazette Website: PDF Navigator

The previous page explains the basis of the awards being given out, but no individual details attributed.

Christine
                      Thanks Christine, I am collecting any info I can get for my uncle (married to my maternal aunt). Thomas is his grandfather.
                      Jules

Comment

I've been editing that post - there's a bit more info now - but only what you'll find by looking at the link I gave.

(Pleased to feel I've been able to contribute!)

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          I've been editing that post - there's a bit more info now - but only what you'll find by looking at the link I gave.

(Pleased to feel I've been able to contribute!)

Christine
                          You certainly have contributed. Many thanks.
                          Jules

Comment

You may already know this and apologies if you do but there was a TV prog on a couple of weeks ago about Helen Duncan, a spiritualist medium who was tried for witchcraft during the war. The War Office had deliberately kept news of the sinking of HMS Barham quiet but she claimed to have been contacted by a sailor.

If you google HMS Barham there is quite a lot about it. There is also an HMS Barham Association
                            Jackie

Comment

Jules,

Thomas Burn must have been a regular member of the RN, who joined before 1923, as his Naval service record is at the National Archives.
                              If you go to their website you will find the following, Thomas Burn, J78275, dob 9/9/1900, South Shields, and this record may be downloaded for £3.50. It will however not give any family details, but full details of his service record.

Merleyone

Comment

If that is the correct Navy record, this looks like his birth perhaps

Dec 1900

Burn Thomas S. Shields 10a 746

Do you have his marriage certificate, so that you could ask for a name check for his father?
                                Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 17-01-09, 08:52.

Comment

I presume that you are aware that you can obtain details through MOD Gosport as to this man's service record from 1922 to when he died? Pre 1923 the details are now online as has already been mentioned, but post 1922 all service records are still with the MOD, until they decide when they will release them to the general public. Until then you can access them on proof of next of kin and payment of £30. As he is an uncle can you enlist another family member's help?

I have my father's naval service records from 1919 to 1922 from Kew and his records from 1922 to 1944 were forwarded to me from MOD on proof of me being next of kin and payment of £25 as it was when I applied. I discovered then that he had also been on HMS Barham in 1938 but transferred to a hospital ship in 1940/1 and so narrowly missed the Barham tradgedy. He had also been on HMS Hood just before that went down so he was twice lucky.

Janet
                                  Last edited by Janet; 17-01-09, 08:55.

Comment

I 'think' that my Grandfather also served on HMS Barham, but wasn't on the ship when it was sunk. Like Janet's relative - I understand he was ill, so taken off the ship. He was a Stoker.

I'll need to check that with his brother - I seem to recall mention has been made of it.

Comment

Have just sent off for marriage cert so all should become clear soon (hopefully). Thanks for the info everyone, it's been brilliant. Janet and Simon, I'm glad your rellies weren't on the Barham when she sank.
                                      Jules

Comment

Working...
                                      X