Some questions on newly received marriage certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions on newly received marriage certificate

I sent for this cert on Tuesday from the GRO and it arrived today!

I am puzzled by some things

1. All other certs I have received from the GRO have been typewritten and this one isn't. I don't know whether that has any significance.

2. Why are there no details of the bride's father?

3. Has the groom's middle name been added as an afterthought?

4. Are there 3 witnesses or is the second witness "Henry Oliphant also known as Platt" ?
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 16-01-09, 20:25.
    Joan died in July 2020.

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post

1. All other certs I have received from the GRO have been typewritten and this one isn't

It's a scan of the original GRO record. Most of mine are written, not typed.

Because the bride wasn't telling. Or the vicar made a boob when doing his quarterly return to the GRO.

Looks as if someone has cross-checked the submission to the GRO and amended it.

4. Are there 3 witnesses or is the second witness "Henry Oliphant also known as Platt" ?

Looks like 3 witneses to me. The other Platt witness was initials only.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks, UJ

It's odd because this has been the only possible candidate for being the Clarence Thomas Platt I have been hunting for for ages - the stumbling block was the middle name, and now it looks as though it has been amended! LOL!

Although the father's name is wrong, too
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

It could be that there is more than one transcription error. Being a London certificate, I suppose there's only a small chance of finding a friendly registrar at the RO holding the Marylebone registers. Since you have the church and date, they might just be prepared to do a search for you.

Comment

You don't like to make things easy do you Joan? :D

I cannot see a Hester Appleton in the birth indexes for the 1890s, athough I haven't tried Esther yet...

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
            You don't like to make things easy do you Joan? :D

I cannot see a Hester Appleton in the birth indexes for the 1890s, athough I haven't tried Esther yet...
            LOL Tom :D - I can't find her either! Had hoped her father's name might be a clue ! Heigh ho!
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I wonder who Henry Oliphant was. There are only 3 plain Henry Oliphants in the 1901 England census, but it is a Scottish surname. Of course he might just be the verger.

Comment

EEK ! I used to work in the building that they kept the Marylebone books in and the door was often open....... *sad*

Used to know one of the Vicars of St M parish church too...... Spent many of an assembley in that church as I went to the school......:o

Just had a thought...... I'll send an email, might come up with someone who knows someone......
                Can you send me the scan as it will be easier to explain to them ? let me know if you don't have my email any more.

Sx

Comment

I reckon your 'clarence' was canadian, and bogged off back there pretty quick smart.... everything this way seems too much of a wild goose chase... :o;):D
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks, Peppie - will e-mail you

I haven't any idea about Henry Oliphant!!

I had discounted this Clarence, Julie, as being the one I am looking for until I discovered that he died in Steyning, the scene of many of the events on the other thread. I have hunted and hunted for him in Canada and found nothing yet. I'm beginning to wonder whether he ever existed!
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

The middle name could be written that way to make it appear in the name section and not cross into the age.

It seems to be a third witness as the spacing is too big for my liking for 2. Also has the abbreviation always been AKA or is AK acceptable?

I was hoping for some answers Joan, not more questions. lol Guess you were too.
                      Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                        The middle name could be written that way to make it appear in the name section and not cross into the age.

It seems to be a third witness as the spacing is too big for my liking for 2. Also has the abbreviation always been AKA or is AK acceptable?

I was hoping for some answers Joan, not more questions. lol Guess you were too.
                        I think you are right on both counts, Kit -

I wish the cert was sufficiently wrong for me to discount it :D

Have been looking for Hester Appleton in 1911 and can't find her - in fact I cant find her anywhere at all. LOL
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

There's an Esther Appleton of about the right age born in Maldon, Essex. You'll also find her on the 1911 census.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                            Always AKA as far as I know, but I don't think it'd be used on a BMD cert - they usually say "otherwise".

Comment

clever Mary hope its the right one Joan

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                There's an Esther Appleton of about the right age born in Maldon, Essex. You'll also find her on the 1911 census.
                                Thanks Mary

Maldon is where lots of my Dowsetts lived!!

Off to look.......
                                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I had discounted this Clarence, Julie, as being the one I am looking for until I discovered that he died in Steyning, the scene of many of the events on the other thread. I have hunted and hunted for him in Canada and found nothing yet. I'm beginning to wonder whether he ever existed!
                                  If you come across my Charles James Villiers in your travels please send him on by registered post. He came from nowhere, married in 1904 then disappeared again. By 1911 his "wife" seems to have reverted to her maiden name!!

Comment

I suppose you've seen the Charles Villiers on the 1911 census ????? there are quite a few Uncle John

Comment

I have, thanks Val. We came to the conclusion it was a fictitious name; there was no sight of him in 1901 or before.

Comment

I sent for this cert on Tuesday from the GRO and it arrived today!

1. All other certs I have received from the GRO have been typewritten and this one isn't. I don't know whether that has any significance.

All certificates I've received are actually copies of the GRO entry which has been handwritten, I expect it depends which century they are for - the modern ones I have received are typewritten.

The bride might not of known who her father was therefore it was left blank (I have seen this before on marriage certs its not that unusual) or as said before an error, personally I would say that she didn't know who he was therefore it was left blank.

I don't think the grooms middle name has been added as an afterthought as such I think it was written that way to not encroach on the other column although it was probably written/added after the original name was written and probably when the groom put his name down below with the E in between on the same day.

As for the witnesses I think H F Platt and Henry Oliphant were two witnesses and A K Platt is just another Platt present/witness. Looking at the cert it seems most of the Platts just put initials.

I don't think there's a mystery about it.
                                        Last edited by Guest; 17-01-09, 19:54.

Comment

Working...
                                        X