Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 story - can I confirm it?

Howdy ho.

My grandad who died when I was young was supposed to have brought back a Panther from Burma some time during the second world war. The story goes that for some unknown reason my grandad out of all the regement was the only one that could handle the cat and so he brought it back to England and gave it to London Zoo.

I dont know much about his war career (it's on the to do list), but thought there might be record of this somewhere.

I've had a look at the Times Online and the London Gazette but I dont seem to have much luck searching newspapers.

Anyone got any ideas where I might find some info?

Cheers
    Hail Spode!

Have you asked London Zoo?
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Not yet, I've only just had the idea of pursuing this story.
      Hail Spode!

Comment

How about a local paper as they may of covered such a big story.
        Jen

Comment

Errmmmm ....... do panthers live in Burma? :o

Anne

Comment

Well I have read very interesting articles that say that panthers don't exist! However there are black large cats that live in Burma.
            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I am sure London Zoo would have had records but whether they still survive or not is another matter.

A panther would have needed to be quarantined and why would they bring it back anyway?
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've been looking into panthers too and the general opinion is it's a general name of a black bigcat. A tiger seems most fitting but also more strange as they're very big animals.

I've no idea why they'd bring back a 'panther' although my mum says he was well known to bring home stray cats and dogs. A panther does seem a bit extreme though!

I'll write a letter to London Zoo and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies!
                Hail Spode!

Comment

I'm sure youi have the address but if not

The Zoological Society of London
                  ZSL London Zoo
                  Outer Circle
                  Regent's Park
                  London
                  NW1 4RY
                  Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

I found this by googling "Military maccots"

Military mascot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you know your grandad's regiment? Perhaps they have some record?
                    Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 17-01-09, 09:48.

Comment

And if you find out please put up the answer, this is fascinating!

Comment

Working...
                      X