Census lookup please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census lookup please

Looking for Jane Davies b 1802 Runcorn, Cheshire, with husband John, a flatman, on any census.

Nothing is showing for her married name, so looking for her under her maiden name.

Thanks very much

treesa

I think you're looking for a needle in a box of fine pins! - never mind a haystack.

Neither Jane nor John is uncommon as a first name and DAVIES is not uncommon as a surname, plus it has a very common variant of DAVIS - and that's before you get into the area of mistranscriptions!

I think you need to be using the less-is-more technique. try not to put in very much at all - only the really critical bits, and then abbreviated with wildcards, say.

e.g. Jane b Run*, with spouse John. Perhaps you might start with surname DAV*.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

and is Davies her maiden or married name?

Comment

Did these people have any children you are aware of?

Comment

It is her maiden name. Married name Carrick, can't find them under this name at all, or even errors. But I have just done a search on ancestry, although I'm not a member, and there is a Jane Chaddick in Lancs b1802.

Clutching at needles in a very large pin box here!!!

One child but she was married on the 41 census, so no joy there.

Scrub that - daughter was single but not with parents.

Comment

Who was the child and do you know when/where she was born?

Comment

How do you know Jane's date and place of birth if you haven't yet found her on a census?

Comment

Mary Ann Carrick bc 1826 Runcorn.

Comment

I have a baptism for Runcorn and she married in Runcorn.

Comment

and how do you know John and Jane were still alive to be on a census?

Comment

Originally posted by treesa View Post
                      I have a baptism for Runcorn and she married in Runcorn.
                      Jane Davies is a pretty common name though......

Comment

I don't for sure - but I haven't been able to find a death for either of them, which leaves me stumped.

Comment

I know, typical of me to get such a combination of names. And there's me thinking that Carrick would be easy!

Comment

lol! but being a flatman certainly makes things a lot harder!

Is Mary the only child you know about?

Comment

Have you followed Mary through the censuses in case she has older family members with her at any time?

Comment

Yes, nobody else with Mary on census.

Have just received marriage of Mary's parents and John states book-keeper. Is he stretching the truth or just had a change of job?

is this another line of mine that can't be puzzled out.........

Comment

Originally posted by treesa View Post
                                  Yes, nobody else with Mary on census.

Have just received marriage of Mary's parents and John states book-keeper. Is he stretching the truth or just had a change of job?

is this another line of mine that can't be puzzled out.........
                                  Is that a photo-copy cert or a transcribed one?

I was told - by an archivist - that an ancestor was described on his son's M-cert as a cashier. I thought it unlikely... when I received the photocopy of the register, as requested, I could see why she'd thought it was cashier: without prior knowledge, it was a plausible interpretation of the script... he was a carrier.

Your man is probably a something-keeper, where the shape of the word resembles book.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It is a photocopy of a license and it does state book keeper twice, and is easily readable.

Comment

Not a mis-reading then.

It does sound a bit of a jump. Or would he have had any reason for boosting the prestige-value of his actual occupation? It's not unknown for ag labs to become farmers for the purposes of their wedding certs, for instance.

Christine

Comment

Well, so far I don't know anything about John or Jane, apart from the baptism for Jane which is a possibility at most. I can't understand why neither of them aren't on census, especially as I can't find deaths for them. If John died then maybe Jane remarried but again, can't find a remarriage.

Is there anything else I could try? If not, then I will have to say this is a dead end rather than a brick wall.

Has anyone else managed to overcome such an obstacle?

thanks for trying,

treesa

Comment

Working...
                                        X