Now I'm confused! (UPDATE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I'm confused! (UPDATE)

I have had a problem for years with my Birches in Leeds. I have the marriage certificate of George Birch and Mary Ann Birch from 22/9/1858 at the Parish Church, Kirkstall.

George Birch - aged 24 - bachelor - occupation: cloth dresser - father George Birch - Bricklayer
    Mary Ann Birch - aged 24 - spinster - no occupation - father John Birch - Cloth dressser

I haven't been able to find Maryann or Mary Ann for certain before 1858, though there is a possible on the 1851 - aged 24 - Milliner d of John aged 55 (Tailor) and Hannah (55).(Both b Wakefield) Also John Henry aged 22 Tailor and Robert John (alleged son of John) aged 2.
    Class: HO107; Piece: 2319; Folio: 325; Page: 27.

The family are all mixed up with the Garth family - Martha Garth married a John Birch, and their daughter Ellen appears in 1861 listed as the daughter of George and Mary Ann, though as she is aged 10 makes it quite a while before theri marriage!

To really confuse matters I have just received the birth certificate of Joe Birch (b 1861) - son of George and Mary Ann. Mary Ann is now listed as FORMERLY WHITAKER!

Can't find her in 1851 either.

Does anybody want to go mad trying to unravel this lot for me please?
    Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

I would love to Mark, instead of sitting here bored to tears waiting for my printer to reinstall. Trouble is that at the moment, I don't have the money to renew my Ancestry sub.

However, don't be too thrown by one birth cert with wrong MMN....it may just be an error. My gg-grandparents had 10 children. 9 have MMN as Littlefield and the 5th child's birth cert it has MMN as Skinner. Caused much confusion for a while, but by buying all the children's certs, we decided it was just an error in copying, somewhere along the line.

PS could be a mistake on the marriage cert.
    Last edited by Lyn A; 16-01-09, 12:04.

Comment

Just putting this down for reference as it probably doesn't mean anything. A Mary Ann Whitaker may have married a Joseph Birch in Leeds in 1848. Probably too young for your Mary Ann though

Marriages Jun 1848

BENTLEY Isabella Leeds 23 396
      Birch Joseph Leeds 23 396
      Broadbent John Busfield Leeds 23 396
      JACKSON Hannah Leeds 23 396
      PEARSON James Leeds 23 396
      RAWLINSON Elizabeth Leeds 23 396
      WHITAKER Mary Ann Leeds 23 396
      WRIGHT Thomas Leeds 23 396
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Lyn!

I may have found her though!

A Mary Ann Whitaker married in 1848 Jun qtr in Leeds Volume:23 Page:396. One of the possibles was Joseph Birch

There is a Joseph Birch married to Mary A. in 1851 next door to all the Garths and Birches, and including yet another impossible 10 year old daughter Ellen (though this one must have been born 1841)

I wasn't going to invest in any more certs, but I think I'll have to with this one!

Comment

And a Joseph died in 1856 in Leeds

Deaths Sep 1856
          BIRCH Joseph Leeds 9b 241

Comment

Snap Chrissie!

Her age does vary a lot in the censuses, so it is possible.

Comment

And a Joseph died in 1856 in Leeds
              Ooh! THat looks helpful

Comment

Snap Mark :D Sometimes it helps just to see it written down doesn't it

Comment

Have a look at this Mary and Joseph in 1851 in Leeds. It makes her a bit old but...

Class: HO107; Piece: 2321; Folio: 357; Page: 4; GSU roll: 87549-87552.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Dudley View Post
                    Thanks Lyn!

I may have found her though!

A Mary Ann Whitaker married in 1848 Jun qtr in Leeds Volume:23 Page:396. One of the possibles was Joseph Birch

There is a Joseph Birch married to Mary A. in 1851 next door to all the Garths and Birches, and including yet another impossible 10 year old daughter Ellen (though this one must have been born 1841)
                    I just looked at that on FreeBMD and wondered.

Originally posted by Mark Dudley View Post
                    I wasn't going to invest in any more certs, but I think I'll have to with this one!

I would have to!! LOL!! ;)

Comment

This bunch are an absolute nightmare! I have found a Joseph (who is George Birch's brother in 1841 living with his mother Sarah Birch (nee garth) along with yet another stray - John Garth aged 12. Joseph was 9 according to the census. (Class: HO107; Piece 1348; Book: 6)

Comment

I have now received the certificate (4 working days from order!) It does look like the right one, but throws up another conundrum. Mary Ann Whitaker is shown as a minor (as is Joseph!) but her father is Michael Whitaker - Cloth dresser.

Can I find him in 1841?

Nope!

Comment

Found him! Transcribed as Micael - daughter Mary aged 10 which fits.

Comment

Could be the daughter Ellen aged 10 with George and Mary Ann in 1861 is actually the daughter Ellen who was with Joseph and Mary Ann in 1851. (so daughter of Mary Ann, step daughter of George) Although the 1851 image has her aged 10 she is listed after the 2 year old daughter so I wonder whether she was actually 10 months in 1851, or perhaps the enumerator wrote 1 then changed it to 0, there's a faint squiggle on the 1. An Ellen Birch was registered Q4 1850 in Leeds 23 538
                            Last edited by JudithM; 22-01-09, 11:51.
                            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith .... that makes a lot of sense - more certificates then I guess!

Comment

According to Yorkshire BMD - definately Mary A Whitaker marrying Joseph Birch in 1848.

Comment

Working...
                                X