Anyone know Leicester?.....Road names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know Leicester?.....Road names

Having made some progress with my lines on 1911, I have come across a Rd that I can't find, I am guessing that it was bulldozed

so if anyone has/can find an old map online.. or if you have one lurking in your house it'd be appreciated

i'm looking for a "Cranbourne St." am guessing, again, sorry it must be a long ish street as this is 130

according to the 1901 census they are living in Leicester, Formerly St Margarets... and in 1911 just states Leicester, NW.

thanks for looking
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

I can't find an online map for the timeframe, it might be worth checking the districts in 1901 for the street and those that are adjacent, it should also give you a parish so at least you can narrow it down a bit.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Are you sure it doesn't mean Cranbourne Street in Leicester SQUARE (London) Julie ?
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi
        just gone and looked on old maps the only one coming up is cranbourne Gardens in Oadby will have another look at another site
        Had a thought they changed names of some roads will have another look

Laura
        Last edited by Laura the Explorer; 16-01-09, 12:19.

Comment

HI
          No they did not change that one having another look

Laura

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
            I can't find an online map for the timeframe, it might be worth checking the districts in 1901 for the street and those that are adjacent, it should also give you a parish so at least you can narrow it down a bit.
            er, is that the same as what I posted above Glen dear? ;) formerly St margarets? *ducks* so Glen dont clout me...... :P

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            Are you sure it doesn't mean Cranbourne Street in Leicester SQUARE (London) Julie ?
            Not unless the 1911 is wrong Chris

Address
            130 CRANBOURNE ST LEICESTER
            County Leicestershire
            District Leicester
            Sub dist North West Leicester
            Enumeration District 37
            Parish Leicester

Originally posted by Laura the Explorer View Post
            Hi
            just gone and looked on old maps the only one coming up is cranbourne Gardens in Oadby will have another look at another site
            Laura
            thanks Laura
            Julie

Comment

Ahhhhhhhh :D
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ok the only ones I can see you have to pay for alangodfreymaps.co.uk/leic.htm
                Have a map you might want to buy sorry

you are looking towards the northeast of Leic by the way(ok maybe not LOL)
                Laura
                Last edited by Laura the Explorer; 16-01-09, 12:45.

Comment

There's a list here of old Leicester street names for future reference, but Cranbourne St isnt included:

OLD LEICESTER STREET NAMES

You could do an address search here, to see which streets are nearby:

1901 Census of England and Wales Online

I've had a quick look, and the civil parish is "Leicester formerly St. Margaret's", but the ecclesiastical parish is St. Mark's.

Comment

Hi - Northwest Leicester could that be Coalville area?
                    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Found it in 1881. It's district 77, but the enumerator's description is no help, because that district seems to contain nothing but Cranbourne Street (34 pages, and I've checked the first and last pages):

- Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                        Hi - Northwest Leicester could that be Coalville area?
                        No, it's definitely in the St Margaret's/St Mark's area. In 1881 the area is "middle St Margaret's".

Comment

Hi
                          the only other thing I can think of is to fvisit Curios fox and see if they have any info

Laura
                          Just having a quick look now
                          sorry have to go hope you find it
                          Last edited by Laura the Explorer; 16-01-09, 12:55.

Comment

I've narrowed it down to the Belgrave Road area.

If you search for Cranbourne Street in Wright's Directory of Leicester, 1909

there are several hits, and it gives you an idea which roads it crosses. It was near Allington Street and Catherine Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              er, is that the same as what I posted above Glen dear? ;) formerly St margarets? *ducks* so Glen dont clout me...... :P

OK, so i do the impossible today (cheap deals on subs etc) but the obvious takes a bit longer
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hi again

I've looked at surrounding enumeration districts too and think it was near Catherine street (Martin St., Harrington St and Bu(a)rdolph St district 76)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
                                Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Thanks everyone, at least I now know it isnt me losing the plot (even more!)

I don't hold out much hope of finding out which children of hers died anyway, but at least I have five out of nine still living by 1911.

I think when I next go to Leics RO I will have to have a look at their big map and see if that helps. (IF I remember)..lolololol.
                                  Julie

Comment

Working...
                                  X