Taken in 1868?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taken in 1868?

My cousin believes this to be her great x2 grandfather, Charles Coombes, who married in 1868, but sadly died 3 years later.

Could this have been taken around the time of his marriage in 1868?

It certainly could have been from that period. Firstly the overal style and appearance of the photograph itself would point me in that direction, the use of a neck/head brace the foot of it can be seen on the floor to the right and behind the subject, the full length study of the gentleman, and lastly his attire and the objects that fill the rest of the image- back cloth/side cabinet/flooring pattern and book in hand. Would you know if there is any details of the photographer either on the front of the card below the image or on the reverse as this may help in the dating process.

don

Comment

Thank you Don. I'll have to ask my cousin if there is any details of the photographer. He was an engineer, so my cousin thought that was some kind of measuring instrument in his hand, but now you say it, you're right, it is a book! :o :D

Comment

looks like he has some emblum on his coat sleeve.and i wonder if thats a bible he is holding,was he a minister ?brenda xxx

Comment

No he was a engineer, Brenda, that's if we have the right man...

Comment

Working...
          X