Miners/Iron & Steel Workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miners/Iron & Steel Workers

I don't have any in my tree (probably because I'm a Southerner ;)) - I was wondering how many of you do...

Where do I start lol

My paternal ggrandfather was a coal miner, as was at least one of his sons (Killed in a mining accident age 14)

My maternal gggrandfather was an iron miner

OH's father, great grandfather and great great grandfather were coal miners - which goes right back to the local pits opening in the late 1800's, and is a tradition still continuing today

As to the areas: Northumberland, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire
    Barbara

Comment

I have a few Coal miners in my family form Wigan and one of them was a Fireman in the Coal mines.

Danny
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

my great grandfather b. 1865 who was a career soldier started off down the coal mines in Northumberland, as had his father & grandfather & most of his uncles. All the other brothers were also coal miners, as were most of their sons and grandsons. They are spread out over Northumberland, especially around Cramlington, and Durham (Shildon & Bishop Auckland).

My dad told me that my gt uncle had traced this line back to Swaledale, and I was told they were farmers. Probably my dad's attempts to disown a humble background - he never mentioned the mining at all. Its almost certain that the Swaledale folk were lead miners, and they would have followed this occupation for generations back - the surname is mentioned in old documents from the 16th century.

A lot of OH's ancestors were also miners from the Wigan/Leigh area, and we also have a couple of iron workers from that area.
        Vicky

Comment

Yes, long this of miners on my side, all ending up in the North East.
          My great great grandfather's story of being orphaned at the age of 8, but rising to being a colliery manager & JP, is quite an inspiring one.

My OH's line I've followed from an illegitimate son from Workington, working in the Iron Works, then following the work round the country to Wales, then Middlesbrough, then Sunderland, is also interesting.

Mind you as a result I haven't got a single hit on the 1911 census yet!!
          ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Nearly all mine were miners and worked the Wigan coalmines,

Even the Irish ones who first went to Staffs ended up in Wigan working the mines..

]

Comment

Despite considering myself to be a Londoner, my maternal grandmother was from Northumberland and all her family had been miners for several generations. My uncles from her first marriage were all miners up until they retired/died in the 1950/60s.

On the other side of my mothers family a gt grandmothers family originated in Weardale where they were farmers and lead miners. Some of them later working and living in the Elswick Lead Works in Newcastle that I used to visit on business a century later.
              Robert

Comment

Nearly all my male relatives on my paternal side were coal or iron miners, right back to 1840ish and all worked in the East Leeds pits.

My great great grandad (the enigma) however worked all over the north/midlands in pits, being at Stafford, Stockport, Oldham, Castleford and Leeds

Comment

*suspects Velma of fishing for magazine articles*

I have a clump of iron-ore miners in what is now West Cumbria. One upped sticks to Nottinghamshire to dig for coal instead.

I was brought up in South Yorkshire, so many of my schoolmates had fathers working in the pits or steelworks. My father worked for a firm that built rolling mills. He spent some time in Romania managing the building of the steelworks at Galati that Mr Mittal bought not long ago.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Miners on mums side of the family, g.g.grandpa emigrated to west yorkshire from Lancashire to work in the pits round Leeds, g.grandpa did too, he moved around more but finally settled in Swillington near Leeds. G.Aunty married a miner as well. Most of the rest of mums ancestors seem to have been weavers.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post

Now how did you guess that Uncle John?? :D

*searches out innocent looking smilie without success*

:D

;)

Comment

I have almost nothing but miners of coal tin and copper for the males in my tree from my parents generation going back to the 1600's. Some of the females from Cornwall also worked at the copper and tin mines as Bal Maidens.
                        It made a change to research my OH's family and find teachers, drapers, engineers and gun makers with not a miner among them.
                        Originally Posted by Uncle John
                        She's had my most interesting story already so that gives me my escape route :D
                        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Some of mine were Miners in the Durham Coalfields, And my Grandad, his brothers, his Bro-in-Law and even little old Me worked in the Steel Mills at West Hartlepool.
                          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I have a few coal miners and iron workers from the Black Country - they moved north to the new town of Barrow to work in the iron & steel industry.
                            I also have one who was the son of a butcher from Kendal - he seems to have worked around the Durham/Northumberland border, but died in an accident near Workington.
                            Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Has anyone got an 'heirloom' which belonged to their mining/iron & steel worker ancestors please?

This doesn't have to be valuable, just something which is precious to you

Comment

Hi,
                                My gg grandad was a miner and died at the Dare Pit, killed by a runaway tram.
                                One treasure/heirloom (sort of) is a quote, taken from a family bible (not in my possession) which always makes me sad when describing my gg granddad-

“a lovely man – who had been killed in a pit accident, was brought home, his body slung, like a “sack of coal”, over the back of a horse“.
                                Brings a tear to my eye every time I read it.

Another branch were all steelmen and managers of iron and steel works in the 1850's in Scotland, although they originated in Staffordshire.
                                Many were also ordinary steel workers in Lanarkshire.
                                Hubby's side has quite a few miners, also Lanarkshire.

herky
                                herky
                                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Me, both, and I wouldn't know where to begin because there are loads in my tree.
                                  2xGreat Grandfathers and their brothers and fathers before them etc.

Mostly in the Lanarkshire area of Scotland
                                  With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Hi
                                    Most of my maternal side where Lead Miners and or Coal Miners from Co Durham and Northumberland. My G G Grandfather was killed down Medomsley Colliery when the roof fell on him. At least one other worked at Consett Iron Works.

Comment

Working...
                                    X