As per 1911 - another 3 children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As per 1911 - another 3 children

Have just found out that there were 3 children that we did not know about for my GGgrandparents. The census says that 4 have died, so that will be the 3 'new' ones plus one that I knew about. Is there an easy way to try and figure out who they are?

What I have:
    Frank Weston and Clara Ann Gilbert - married 1877 Leics
    Gertrude Ada Weston 1877
    Clara Weston 1882
    Arthur Gilbert Weston 1888 (died 1904)
    Grace Rhoda Weston 1891

For 1911 Clara Ann is with her daughters Clara and Grace; daughter Gertrude is in Scotland with her husband - have to wait for that census :o Clara Ann is down as the 'Head' but is married, so still trying to locate Frank.

As a footnote, today would have been Gertrude's middle son's 100th birthday.......

At a guess the missing children are born between 1878 and 1887. Do they stay in the one place or move around? If in the one spot have a look at freebmd and see how many Weston's are born there.

Just tried LDS but no luck.
    Kit

Comment

Kit,

It is amazing how many births/deaths there are in Leicester in any given year. I've just had a quick skim through FreeBMD, but no names seem to jump out.

As far as I know, they never moved from Leicestershire, though I think one of the reasons I'm having trouble finding Frank is that he is a commercial traveller, as per 1901.

Comment

Margaret

I've got the same trouble. I have looked on Freebmd for births in the right timeframe and deaths before 1911 and got them down to about six. One name sticks out as it is Julia and the father had a sister called Julia and another one George as that was the fathers name but he was buried the same qtr as the father and that seens too cruel to me.

AS there were 11 children born between 1881 and 1903 (when father died) I am having trouble fitiing another pregnancy in!!

I am off to the archives today to see if I can find a burial. I also have a million other things to look up as well.

Good luck

Lin
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Margaret that's not good. All you can do is go through all births and see if there is a corresponding death. Luckily the ages on on the deaths. But not what I'd like to do.
          Kit

Comment

I can't help much where there is a big gap into which the extra children might fit, but where, as in your case Lin,there doesn't seem space for another birth it could be worth looking for twin births. I found my gt gt uncle and aunt had 12 children, 4 of whom had died I only knew of one death but remembered dad had said twins ran in the family so for each known child I searched same quarter on Freebmd and sure enough found an extra birth with same reference as a known son, and a death in same quarter. Strangely the surviving child, Nicholas, appears using his twin's name, Albert, as a nineteen year old in the 1911 census.
            I still haven't found the other two children, they were either born when mum was quite old, or possibly were also twins, but still -born so not registered.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have struggled with the same problem - a massive list of births and deaths in the same surname within one reg district.

However, I was surprised how many I could eliminate. Once I had removed all the names of children who died young but lived whilst a census was conducted and then removed the names of those who died young but were born whilst my relative was either pregnant or didn't allow enough time for the pregnancy of the child who died, I was left with three possibles, of which two are likely mine and the other one has an unusual first name which matches the first name of another mum living locally to my family (will have to check these out, of course!).

Comment

I've had a look and there are loads of possibles, with deaths, born in Leicester.

Is there any chance you could look at the parish records? If you can find the baptisms, that would make it much easier to know who belongs to whom.

I did find a Frank Archibald in 1886-7 who might be yours. Seemed a bit odd that you don't have one, when you have children named after Clara.
                Tracy

Comment

Thank you ladies. When I looked last night, it was quite late - so I will try again now that I am awake.

Merry, unfortunately they weren't alive for any of the census - hence me not knowing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post

I did find a Frank Archibald in 1886-7 who might be yours. Seemed a bit odd that you don't have one, when you have children named after Clara.
                    Good thinking. I've just had a look at the Welford Road Cemetery burials, and Frank Archibald Weston was buried on 15/1/1887 aged 6 months. Abode: Humberstone Road, Leicester.

Arthur Gilbert Weston was buried on 31/8/1904 aged 15. Abode: Bismark St., Leicester.

Clara Ann Weston was buried on 21/11/1936 aged 81. Abode: 8 Barclay St., Leicester.

They're all buried in different plots with other people, but none of them have the surname Weston.

Did they ever live in Cobden Street or Catesby Street? There are a couple of stillborns with mother Clara for those addresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post

Merry, unfortunately they weren't alive for any of the census - hence me not knowing about them.

That's what I meant!!

If a child died after a census but was born before it, then you should be able to find them with their family (or at least assume they are not from your family, unless living elsewhere). I was meaning you could eliminate them from your enquiries! lol

Comment

Oops Merry - I read that backwards.....thought you meant keep in the ones that were alive during the census!!

Mary, that sounds like Arthur and Clara Ann - Bismark Street is the address in 1911 and I knew Clara Ann was alive until 1935 as I have a photo of her with my grandparents.

Clara Ann was born in Cobden Street, and her eldest daughter Gertrude was born in Humberstone Road. Catesby and Barclay are not ringing any bells at the moment. Is it possible to see who the other people in the graves are, Mary? I might be able to match them up with siblings etc.

Thanks.
                        Margaret

Comment

Yes, if you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll send you a list.

Do you have Excel? If so, I'll send it in that format.

Comment

PM is on the way.

Comment

Working...
                            X