Help with a date and age please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a date and age please

Any ideas when this photo might have been taken and how old the person is?

I've been told it's a brother of my Grandad but I've never heard of a Jim. Grandad was born 1893.

Many thanks.
    Attached Files

I think it looks as though he is in his late 40s, judging by the style of the suit I would say late 30s early 40s - any help?
    OLD SALIAN

Researching:
    Barker - Hale, Cheshire/Leeds
    Greatorex - Winster, Derbys
    Rudd - Richard's Castle, Herefordshire
    Oakes - Liverpool
    Ormerod/Stott/Crabtree - Oldham/Rochdale

Comment

Thanks OS
      It may be Joseph whose middle name was James. He was born in 1882. If it's 1940 he'd be 58. He was a policeman. Never thought of folks being known by their middle name!
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-01-09, 21:59.

Comment

You would be amazed what people are known by. A friend of mine, named George RADFORD was always known as Phil!!!

Malky

Comment

It's not unusual for people to have a 'favourite' or pet name. My father, born Leonard, was always Eric. My sister is Sarah Jane, but always just uses Jane.

And in the 30s, many had pet names, the first name being lost completely. And if people didn't like the first name, they used the second.
          Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

It was years before I discovered aunt Mamie was actually Wilhelmina!

Comment

1940/5 he has a pocket watch and my grandad had one and dressed the same . brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

Comment

Working...
                X