Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a real challenge?

HELP!! please anyone...

My gran's school leaving certificate/labour certificate states that in 1905 she was residing at 22 Wharf Street (Burslem, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire)

This is not her family home. Her parents are on the 1901 census and the 1911 at the right place 64 Ricardo Street, Burslem where they remained till the late 1920's. On census night 1901 Gran and her brother were not at home, they were with their Ackerley grandparents at a different address.

To get a clue as to why Gran was in Wharf Street, I went off to the 1901 census to see who was living at 22 Wharf Street. A relative possibly? I know it was not either set of grandparents as I have their entries.

I eventually tracked down the correct enumerator's book (ancestry version) for the even numbered side of Wharf Street and then ...

... page 25 of the book goes up to no.14 Wharf Street and page 26 starts at no.30. What's happened to nos. 16 to 28??

I've tried the adjoining books just in case the enumerator decided to jink up a wee side close and got the numbers out of order. But no joy.

Does anybody have access to a different version of this census to see if they can solve the mystery of the occupants of no.22.

The occupants of no.30 were Henry Baker age 34 born Staffs. Stoke and his wife Harriet age 30 born Warwicks. Birmingham and their family Edith M., May F. and Herbert all born Staffs. Burslem and Henry's brother Edward J born Staffs. Stoke.

what is her name?

Comment

Perhaps there wasn't a no 22 in 1901. In 1881 it goes from no 30 to no 8 on the same page.
      Moggie

Comment

I've just had a look at the official 1901 census site, and even numbers 16-26 Wharf Street are missing.

1901 Census of England and Wales Online

Comment

In 1891 the numbers on the same page go from 30 to 12.
          Moggie

Comment

An 1898 map shows a Wharf Road, Burslem with (probable) houses down one side and a large building amongst houses on the other;

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page

Extract from 1898 OS map of Middleport / Newport area of Burslem
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-01-09, 18:51.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I've also had a look at Kelly's Staffs directory for 1905, which includes Burslem, but there are no hits for 22 Wharf Street.

Comment

hi

just to add to the confusion that on the 1911 census 22 Wharf Street doesn't show up either.

Most of the Even numbers are msising from 13 up and inc' 31
                WendyP

Comment

Looks like Wharf St became Burgess Street in the 1950s named after the Pottery (Burgess and Leigh) built there in 1850s. Looks like a similar layout these days as in the map Glen found

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible
                  Hail Spode!

Comment

Thanks everybody. I'm glad to know I'm not going doolally.

I wonder what the big building was?

Gran was in the potteries in her early working life but left to train as a nurse. She was nursing in 1917 when she married my Grandad. I think she stayed nursing till her first child was on the way in 1920.

Gran's name was Dory Harrison, born 1893 in Stoke, Staffs. daughter of William Harrison (potter's printer) and Mary Eliza Ackerley (miniature china manufacturer's potter's transferrer). She married Frederick Murray, born 1893 in Waymills, Whitchurch, Salop(soldier and later asylum attendant/nurse), son of James Murray (blacksmith) and Sarah Ann Latewood.

Gran's brother was John William Harrison (aka Jack) born 1896 in Stoke, Staffs. He was an elementary school teacher. Served with the Royal Engineers and was badly gassed. Continued to teach after the war but died young, unmarried in 1922 at home 64 Ricardo Street, Burslem.

Comment

It's quite common for the Post Office to number a street with gaps to allow for later infilling. One road in Bedford starts its odd-numbered side at 61, more or less opposite no. 62 on the other side. The site of 1 to 59 is allotments and playing fields.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Is it possible this was a workhouse or hospital,(in view of her later employment and the employment of her husband) in which case it would be (usually) enumerated at the end of the schedules.

OC

Comment

great idea OC, I'm off to look.

Comment

no enumerator's description books for separate asylums/insitutions etc. Doh!
                            Think I'll email Staffs libraries and see if anybody knows what the big buildings were.

Comment

I wouldn't be too suprised if it were connected to the adjacent potteries or a warehouse of some description for the nearby wharf.
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

The plot thickens...

Here's the reply I got from Stoke Archives today. It's a right mystery and no mistake! My cousin tells me that he has a prayer book of Gran's from a year earlier, (1904) where she has written her name and address as 22 Wharf Street. So she was there at least a year.

"I have checked a 1907 Street Directory, and number 22, Wharf Street is not listed, indeed numbers 16-28 (inclusive) do not appear. The directory lists private businesses, as well as residential addresses, so the building in question does not appear to have been a commercial property. I used the directory in conjunction with the 25" scale Ordnance Survey maps (XI.12 and XII.9) for the years 1878 and 1898, (the XII.9 is the one you have seen on the Stoke-on-Trent, Pottery and Ceramics, Tunstall, Burslem, Hanley, Stoke, Fenton, Longton website) and by comparing the sequential order of the numbering of the properties in the directory, with the maps, it appears that the narrow-looking building (which is the one to which I assume you arereferring) at the top right end of the street could well have incorporated number 22. I cannot, however, provide any more information about the property,or say why it appears on the certificate which you have."

Comment

My family lived at 29 Ricardo st Burslem they were called Theophilis Hall and Harriet Hall on the 1891 census

Comment

Hello Brown and welcome to the Forum.

I am sure GallowayLass will welcome your input to her thread though it is five years old now, she is still a member of this Forum

Edna

Comment

Hello brown and welcome.

What a surprise to see someone else with family ties to Ricardo Street. I have found on the net that it no longer exists. Do you have any photos of the street that you are willing to share? Unfortunately there were none in my Gran's things.

I got quite excited when I saw the name Hall but sadly Theophilis is not one of mine - wish he was, what a great name. The Halls in Gran's family had their surname from a woman as all 3 of her sons were illegitimate.
                                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-08-14, 12:49.

Comment

Working...
                                      X