Anyone up for a search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a search?

I am having trouble finding some of my Hatch family again! I took a break from searching for few months but am now eager again, unfortunately I have mis-placed some info you helped me find last year. If I am asking for info. that reminds you of a question I have asked before I apologise!
    I am trying to find Edith Mary Moss born (working out from marriage cert.) about 1874. The 1901 census says she was born in kingston, surrey, but I can't see a match on birth register nor can I find her on 1891 census. Any help is appreciated!
    Tessie

What was her father's name and occupation?
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Going by the age she3 gives on the 1901 census, could this be her birth reference?

Dec 1878
      MOSS Edith Mary Kingston 2a 290
      Jeanette

Comment

And could this be her in 1891?

Charles Moss 52 Carpenter
        Sarah Moss 40
        Edith Moss 12
        Emily Moss 10
        Ellen Moss 4
        William J Moss 1
        Albert Hubbard 38
        Harry Farmer 44

RG12; Piece: 453; Folio 153; Page 3;
        Jeanette

Comment

Charles Moss, greengrocer and were living in Putney when they got married.

Comment

They've added the initial M in 1881

Charles Moss 45 Carpenter
            Sarah Moss 30
            Edith M. Moss 2
            Emilyetta Moss

RG11; Piece: 663; Folio: 80; Page: 1
            Jeanette

Comment

This family are in Putney in 1881 and 1891. I'll go and see if I can find Charles in 1901
              Jeanette

Comment

interesting! but her marriage cert. definately says she is 21 in 1895 which makes her dob around 1874.

Comment

Younger than 21 would mean she was not of "full age", there are thousands of marriage certs where one or both parties claimed to be full age when they were in fact younger. No proof of age was required.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

This is Charles in 1901. He's back in Kingston and gives his occupation as Carpenter Journey man. Hmmmmmmmmm!

Charles Moss 62
                    Sarah Moss 50
                    Ellen Moss 14
                    George Moss 7

RG13; Piece: 664; Folio: 69; Page: 12
                    Jeanette

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                      Younger than 21 would mean she was not of "full age", there are thousands of marriage certs where one or both parties claimed to be full age when they were in fact younger. No proof of age was required.
                      Was just about to add that! lol
                      Jeanette

Comment

I was thinking that but would the father also lie that he was a greengrocer? What you have found is v. interesting. Do you think this is them? It does seem to point in that direction!

Comment

Maybe Charles wasn't lying about being a green grocer. Maybe he was at the time of Edith's marriage but wasn't successful so went back to carpentry.

With the middle initial, the birth reference, the place of birth and father's name all taken into account I'm inclined to think this is the right one.

Just out of interest, what are the witness name on the marriage cert?
                          Jeanette

Comment

Occupations can be made to sound a lot grander than they really were. Ages can be changed, even the names of the father could be wrong.

It depends how the question was asked, what was said and how it was heard and what the registrar then entered on the register.

Marriage certs have a few entries where info about one party is given by another. Age, residence and details about the father are the areas where the entries may not be quite what you expect.

It's worth having a look at the cert guide for more detialed indormation;

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-01-09, 17:43.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Nobody witnessed the marriage family wise!

Comment

Thanks guys!!

Comment

You're welcome Tessie
                                  Jeanette

Comment

Over the last 10 years or so, 90% of businesses fail in the first 2 years. It can't have been a lot different in "the olden days".
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                    X