Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peninsular War Records

Hi,

I have found an ancester who served in the British Army during the Peninsular War. I was wondering what records would survive from that time, and if they are avaliable.

I have his pension records, which I obtained from the National Archives Site. His name was William Freeman, and he served for about a year before being discharged - the reason being loss of sight due to lightning. I was thinking that perhaps the lightning was the flash of the muskeet, or did he just happened to be looking in the wrong direction, at the wrong time, in a storm!

Thanks for any assistance,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

There are probably muster rolls at Kew, which aren't online. Very slow to search, but as you only have a years worth, it would be fine! Also pension record in WO116 (from memory), which would just be a one line entry and wouldn't tell you much more than you already know. Also a possible entry in the description book as presumably you know his date of entry from his papers. I think the musters would be your best bet assuming they survive for his regiment for the right period.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks,

I will have to try to get down to Kew to have a look at the Muster Rolls.

Just out of intrested, what type of information do the Muster Rolls include?

Tippin
      Families Intrested in
      Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

They will show, month by month, where he was serving and should note any disciplinary or medical matters. The first muster in which he appears may give details of his enlistment and the last should give the reason for discharge.
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Great.

Kew is a must visit. I just have to hope that the rolls for the 43rd foot suvive!

Thanks for the help annswabey!
          Families Intrested in

Comment

There may be some other useful ideas if you look in the military stuff in the FTF Wiki.

The Asplen site is very good, for instance.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just checked TNA's catalogue for you. There are musters for 43rd Foot 1st Battalion for each year from 1808-1814. Ref for 1808 is WO12/5572, then all consecutive numbers up to WO12/5575 for 1814.

Comment

Working...
              X