Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matson Family of East Kent

Hi,
    I have been researching the Matson family of East Kent for some years now.
    However, like all of us, I have some 'brick walls' where I just can't seem to make progress. So as a new member here are the two which I am really struggling with at the moment.

If anyone could help, I would really love to find the parents of William Matson who was born about 1762 and in 1781 married Mary Hyder at St. Leonards, Deal, Kent. The couple had 10 children. William was a miller in Deal and he died in 1826.

The other 'brick wall' is another William Matson. This time born about 1805 in Brightlingsea, Essex. He married Mary Ann Griggs in 1828 at Brightlingsea and the couple had 9 children, 7 in Brighlingsea and 2 in Ramsgate. Sometime between 1844 and 1847 the family moved to Ramsgate in Kent where William was a boatman in the Royal Harbour.
    There is a family of Matsons in the Baddow Park/Mountnessing/St Lawrence area of Essex at the same time and I have a feeling that the William who went to Ramsgate could be connected to them.

If anyone has any ideas then I would be very glad for the help.
    Also if I can help anyone in East Kent research then please let me know.

If the first William was born about 1762 and got married in 1781 then he would be a minor when he married - does the parish register entry for his marriage state that he was a minor, and if so, does it say who gave consent for him to marry?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
      If the first William was born about 1762 and got married in 1781 then he would be a minor when he married - does the parish register entry for his marriage state that he was a minor, and if so, does it say who gave consent for him to marry?
      WOW - That was quick
      Hi KiteRunner!
      No, the marriage entries I have are -
      Wm Matson of Deal baker bach & Mary Hyder of the s sp. 13 Oct 1781. (from Canterbury Marriage Licences)
      1781 14 Oct William MATSON, otp to Mary HYDER, otp by Licence.
      Witnesses; Richard MOCKETT, Edward FOREMAN. (from parish record)

The date of birth is based on the record of burial -
      1826 25 Oct William MATSON, Middle street, 64 yrs

It's a good point about being a minor which I hadn't thought of, I'm wondering now if that age 64 was wrong and perhaps William was 21 when he married which would mean a date of birth in 1759/60 perhaps?

There are several William Matsons around at the time but none who fit with that sort of date.

Comment

No, I would expect the age to be more or less correct as he married by licence. Have you tried to trace the licence? It may have some helpful information on it.

Also, if he was a miller in his own right (rather than employed by someone else) I would have expected him to have left a will. It probably won't tell you who his parents were....but you never know WHAT information you will get in a will!

OC

Comment

Marriage Record

A J Willis' book: 'Canterbury Marriage Licences 1781-1809 - page 21 -
          "Wm MATSON of Deal baker bach & Mary HYDER of the s sp. 13 Oct'.
          No other details.
          The search continues -

Comment

Have you already checked to see whether either of those witnesses was married to a Matson? Or checked other marriages in the parish to see if those names crop up a lot, in which case they probably aren't related to the couple.
            KiteRunner

Comment

And have you checked through the list of Matson wills on this site:
              East Kent Wills 1660-1858 Names

to see if any of them might be useful? I think I would start with the William Matson, Deal, proved in 1785, and then try the Thomas Matson or Watson of Deal proved 1824.

Also TNA Documents Online has the will of a widow Mary Matson of Deal, proved in 1843, but that might be a bit after the time you are looking for.

Oh, and I forgot to say the name of his eldest son could be a clue to his father's name.
              Last edited by KiteRunner; 15-01-09, 18:33.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Consistory Court at Canterbury - Wills

Good idea.
                I already have Mary Matson of Deal, proved in 1843.
                However I don't know how to access the other two you suggest.
                Are they likely to be available on line anywhere?
                The eldest son's name is William and there's a Thomas, Richard and John.

Comment

No, they won't be available online. You would need to contact the Canterbury Cathedral Archives or Centre for Kentish Studies to ask how to get copies.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Consistory Court at Canterbury - Wills

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                    No, they won't be available online. You would need to contact the Canterbury Cathedral Archives or Centre for Kentish Studies to ask how to get copies.
                    Thanks Kiterunner. I will try to make the trip to the Kent County Archives centre at County Hall, Maidstone.

Comment

Just an update to say that I've now completed my active research into the Matson family of East Kent.
                      If anyone is researching this family and would like to contact me with any queries, I'm happy to help if I can.
                      Also my research is available at a number of places both in the UK, including Kent County Council Archives/Family History Centre, and abroad and I am happy to provide any researcher more details if they would like.
                      Best wishes for all your research.

Matson Family History Title Page.jpg
                      Last edited by doverrog; 03-09-11, 10:36. Reason: Re-position image

Comment

Research Available - Matsons of East Kent

I've now completed my research.
                        Thank you to all who assisted me.
                        If anyone is researching the Matson family of East Kent and would like access to my research, it is available at a number of places, including the Kent County Council Archives/Family History Centre, both in the UK and abroad.
                        If you would like to contact me via this forum then I'm happy to help if I can.

Title.jpg

Comment

Hi! I can't help with your William. but I do have in my own tree a Mary Matson, daughter of Thomas: she was born after 1750 and died before 1798; the only certain record I have for her is that she was a minor when she married Richard Covell on 21 Oct 1771 in Margate. (He was a pilot.) Does she fit into your family anywhere?
                          Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Hi Somerset sal and thanks for the contact.
                            I do have William/Mary Matson and the 1771 marriage to Richard Covell.
                            Mary does tie in and I can send you more details if you would like.
                            By co-incidence I see you are also interested in the Hurst family. Is this from the Oxfordshire area?

Comment

Hi doverrog
                              I have Hannah Matson in my tree. She was born in Goodnestone abt 1809 Married William Foster 25 Dec 1826 in Hernhill (FOSTER William (X) and Hannah Matson - witnesses John MATSON (X) Edward FOREMAN) from PR.
                              William Foster was killed in 1838 at the Battle of Bossenden Wood. At the time Hannah and William were living next door to William and Elizabeth Coachworth. William Coachworth was injured at the Battle of B W. Elizabeth died in March 1843 and in Oct 1843 William married Hannah possibly because she was pregnant! Hannah and William had a further 3 children. William Coachworth was my 3rd Great Grandfather. Does this tie in with anything you have?

Comment

This is really interesting as Hannah matson is one of my "unattached" records. I've not been able to confirm where she fits in.

Looking at Hannah matson first this is what I have -
                                Born about 1809 (from Canterbury Cathedral Archives)
                                Died in the June Quarter of 1877 (From Faversham District registration records)
                                1841 census records 4 children
                                1861 census records an Edith Matson aged 6 as a niece born Hernhill at the Home of William Couchworth aged 67 in Hernhill. John Foster aged 26 is recorded at the same address as a son.
                                1877 record of death states aged 69.

Hannah matson married William Foster 26th December 1826 at Hernhill (Index of kent Marriages)

For William Foster -

Born Hernhill (Index of Kent marriages)
                                1841 census records a William as born Hernhill but aged 12! So this seems to confirm he is a son.
                                1851 census records William as aged 20.

So looking at your information it seems we can tie in quite well.
                                Firstly Hannah born Godstone about 1809 and the marriage date fits (one day either way)
                                I didn't have the marriage witnesses so perhaps John Matson was the father or brother of Hannah?
                                The problem is that John was a very common Matson name.
                                I do have possible parents for Hannah as John Matson who married Susannah Harrison in Faversham district 31st October 1780. But again i have no more details about any children they had or who their parents were. So that may be a possibility.
                                I also didn't have the information about Hannah's second marriage so that clears up a mystery I had from the 1861 records. I hadn't followed the line as it was getting away from my Matson link.
                                I'd love to add any mor information you have about your line, especially the ancestors of William Foster as that may bring some clues to Hannah's parents.
                                I have several Foster names linked to Matson but none stand out as obvious links to William.
                                The information on the Battle of Bossenden Wood is fascinating. What a marvellous event to have in the tree. Have you sen the plaque shown in Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bossenden_Wood
                                Look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Originally posted by doverrog View Post
                                  Hi Somerset sal and thanks for the contact.
                                  I do have William/Mary Matson and the 1771 marriage to Richard Covell.
                                  Mary does tie in and I can send you more details if you would like.
                                  By co-incidence I see you are also interested in the Hurst family. Is this from the Oxfordshire area?
                                  Hi!

Yes, please I'd love to have more information about Mary: Richard Covell was my 3 x gt uncle.

Pre 1750s my Hursts were in Surrey, but they moved to London in the early 1800s. I don't know of an Oxfordshire connection. One of my 'brick walls' is Isaak Hurst, who died in 1787 and his wife Ann who had their first child (as far as I can discover) in 1757. I can'f find a marriage record for them. (There IS another Isaac Hurst in the IGI, but I've been able to rule him out.) I don't suppose you've got this Isaak and Ann in your Oxfordshire set, have you?

SS
                                  Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Hello,
                                    I'm afraid I can't help with Isaac Hurst and wife Ann. I looked at my index and I do have an Isaac who's parents are Jacob and Ann married in 1767 in Wicken, Northamptonshire. They had a son named Isaac born about 1773 in Wooton, Bedfordshire. Doesn't look like a connection I'm afraid. The nearest I have are in Berkshire with a few in London.

As to Richard Cavell and Mary Matson I have them recorded with 2 children, John (no dates) “ .....my Nephew John Covell one of the sons of my late sister Mary Covell deceased for .....” (Excerpt from willof John Matson dated 1806 transcript.) and Charles (no dates) who was a Lieutenant in the Royal navy. “....my Great Niece Ann Covell daughter of my nephew Charles Covell deceased late a Lieutenant in the R N one of the …….{?} sons of my late sister Mary Covell {decd) ....” (Excerpt from will of John Matson dated 1806) and his wife Ann Roberts (no dates) “...Great Niece Ann Covell daughter of my nephew Charles Covell deceased late a Lieutenant in the R N one of the …….{?} sons of my late sister Mary Covell {decd} by Ann his wife late Ann Roberts spinster .....” (Excerpt from will of John Matson dated 1806). I have this further extract from the will of John Matson which refers to a daughter of Charles and Ann “....my Great Niece Ann Covell daughter of my nephew Charles Covell deceased late a Lieutenant in the R N one of the …….{?} sons of my late sister Mary Covell {decd) ....” (Excerpt from will of John Matson dated 1806).
                                    I hope that makes sense to you.

As the Covell line was not one I've followed up, I can't add to the above. However If you could send me birth and death dates together with info on the marriage of Charles Covell and Ann Roberts, I'd love to add to what I have. Also if you have the parents of Mary Matson's husband Richard Covell?
                                    I have a lot of detail about Mary Matson's family and it really depends on how far back etc you want to go.
                                    Mary was the daughter of Thomas Matson (1711-1781) and Aphra Beane (1712-1761) who married 15th September 1737 in Wingham.
                                    This is from Mary's father's will - "Excerpt from will of Thomas Matson -
                                    To my son Charles All that tenement cottage outhouses buildings and land by estimation _ a yard {think he must mean acre!} situated in word {Worth} late in the occ of Robt Matson which at sometime I purchased of James Hambrook. Also all that my leasehold tent. dwelling house with edifices yard garden etc etc situated in Deal now in the occ of my son in law Richard Covell"
                                    Thomas Matson and Alpha had 7 children, 2 of whom died as infants.
                                    Best wishes.
                                    Last edited by doverrog; 05-09-11, 11:04.

Comment

I don’t have a lot of information on Hannah Matson or William Foster as they are not related to me it was only because Hannah remarried to William Coachworth (my 3rd G/Grandfather) and the interest in the Battle of Bossenden Wood that I gathered more information than I would normally.

Marriage banns from Hernhill CD
                                      256 FOSTER William (faded) Hernhill MATSON Hannah Hernhill 10,17,24 Dec 1826
                                      Also it appears that Matilda Ann Coachworth dau. of William and Elizabeth married the son of Hannah and William Foster.
                                      Marriage banns
                                      408 FOSTER William (bachelor) Hernhill COACHWORTH Matilda Ann Hernhill 25,1,8 Oct/Nov 1857 – I have no record of this marriage as the CD only covers up to 1837. However there is a KCC record:

Name: COACHWORTH , Matilda , A ,
                                      Year of Marriage: 1857
                                      Entry Number: 95
                                      Register: 79/1

Name: FOSTER , William
                                      Year of Marriage: 1857
                                      Entry Number: 95
                                      Register: 79/1

Register 79/1 is the code for St. Michaels Hernhill.

1841 census - ****'s Hole, Hernhill, Kent
                                      FOSTER, Hannah F 32 1809 Kent
                                      FOSTER, Mary F 13 1828 Kent
                                      FOSTER, William M 12 1829 Kent
                                      FOSTER, James M 10 1831 Kent
                                      FOSTER, John M 7 1834 Kent
                                      FOSTER, Henry M 4 1837 Kent
                                      Living next door is
                                      COACHWORTH, William M 35 1806 Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, Elizabeth F 25 1816 Kent (this should read 1806)
                                      COACHWORTH, Matilda F 13 1828 Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, George M 12 1829 Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, Mary F 9 1832 Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, Olivia F 4 1837 Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, Caroline F 3 1838 Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, James M 0 (4 MONTHS) 1841 Kent

1851 Census - Poorhouses, Dargate Hernhill, Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, William Head Married M 45 1806 Farm Labourer Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, Anna Wife Married F 44 1807 Kent (she must have dropped her ‘H’)
                                      FOSTER, William Wife Son Unmarried M 20 1831 Farm Labourer Hernhill Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, George Son Unmarried M 20 1831 Farm Labourer Hernhill Kent
                                      FOSTER, Henry Wife Son Unmarried M 14 1837 Farm Labourer Hernhill Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, Caroline Daughter F 13 1838 Hernhill Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, William Son M 6 1845 Hernhill Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, James Son M 10 1841 Hernhill Kent
                                      COACHWORTH, Sarah M Daughter F 2 1849 Hernhill Kent

Burial for William Foster? PR names him as Forster! But the date and age tie in.
                                      1838 05 Jun William FORSTER Hernhill 32yrs

I would think that the marriage you have for John Matson who married Susannah Harrison in Faversham district 31st October 1780. Is probably to early to be Hannah’s parents as she was born around 1809. I have found a marriage between John Matson and Sarah Smith. John born 1776 in Faversham and Sarah 1782 in Goodnestone
                                      marriage: 24 Apr 1803 (some discrepancy as to whether 1802 or 1803).
                                      Boughton-Under-Blean, Kent
                                      spouse: Sarah Smith
                                      with three children mentioned in the 1841 census but by then Hannah would have been married anyway.
                                      Another bit of info is Hannah Coachworth (Matson) I have a record of her death as 1873 - Hemiplegia Jane Tong informant, goodness knows where the Tong’s fit in! Given age was 62 but then the birth date was abt. 1811
                                      I’ll leave it there for now before we both get bogged down. Let me know if any of this is useful or I can help with anything else.
                                      BTW - I have seen the plague in St. Michaels Church for those who were buried there after the B of B W as Edward Wraight was also killed and he was my 4th great grand uncle. He was buried on the 5th June so that ties up with William Foster or Forster as the register states.
                                      My main research in this area of Kent stems from my paternal grandmother’s family the Miles and the Mount’s as my great grandparents which includes the Wraights, Coachworths and many more, do any of these feature in your research.
                                      Look forward to hearing from you again.

Comment

I see the address on the 1841 is blanked out now I wonder why? Because it's S l u t 's Hole, doesn't sound nice but it's on the map :D

Comment

Working...
                                        X