Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper inquest help

Hi

can anyone take a look for an inquest for me. The inquest was on the 14th November 1861 in derbyshire of Ann Banner aged 39

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

any other details?

Comment

apologies for the delay. Information i have from the death cert is:
      death 12/11/1861 in Newhall, Derby
      wife of Benjamin Banner
      Cause of death "visitation of God" congestion of the lungs and disease of the heart
      informant: information recieved from Joseph Sale coroner for derbyshire
      death registered 17/11/1861
      registration in Gresley, Derbyshire
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

From the description, I'd say it was natural causes. The coroner was possibly involved because it was a sudden death, but an inquest would only be needed if the cause of death was suspicious.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I doubt there would be a newspaper report.

Visitation of God was a term for natural causes.

Try ringing Derby Studies Library, they may be able to help

01332 255393 - 25B Iron Gate, Derby. DE1 3GL

Comment

I have access to the Derby Mercury for that date, but I can't see any record. Sorry.

Comment

'By Visitation of God' - I have one of thoes in my tree. Died around the same time as well, I think it was in 1863.

You may be able to find the coroner's records. I was lucky. It will give information like where the inquest into the death was held (mine was in the Gunmakers Arms!!), date and so on.
              Families Intrested in
              Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

thanks for your help anyway
                Robyne

Comment

Working...
                X