Italian experts - Sestini Bagnoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian experts - Sestini Bagnoli

My OH gg grandmother was Amelia Mary Baggs 1821 - 1895. Her first born daughter was Amelia Sestini Wilson (I have the birth cert). I've recently discovered in a book that Amelia Mary's grandmother was an 'Italian Prima Donna' and by googling have found italian references to an Amelia Sestini Bagnoli - Stalla di Mare (Star of the sea????)

As I have a vivid imagination I have made Bagnoli into Baggs and suddenly OH has Italian relatives.

Could someone with more Italian knowledge than me investigate Amelia Sestini Bagnoli of the google references and stop my imagination running riot!
    J

The Florence Library has a book called "Nuvole d'agosto / Amelia Sestini Bagnoli". The title means "August Clouds", and Amelia's presumably the author. The book is listed as "Poetry".

dettaglio documento
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-01-09, 13:44.

Comment

I followed your google and see that Stalla di Mare is the name of a book and Amelia is the author

Comment

The title is listed as 'narrativa per regazzi' ? a book for boys?

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          The title is listed as 'narrativa per regazzi' ? a book for boys?
          I think it translates as "stories for children"

Comment

Ok so the Amelia Sestini connection is just a coincidence???
            Any tips for researching italian singers?? J

Comment

Google book search has the following snippets:

A couple of references to a book called "Non oggi... domani" (Not today... tomorrow) (1952) by Amelia Sestini Bagnoli:

Books Abroad: An International ... - Google Book Search

A reference to Corrado Grazzini, son of the late Reginaldo Grazzini and Amelia Sestini, born Venice 8/12/1883, polygraphic writer. The next bit's hard to read, but if it relates to him, he was a director of the National Esperantists' Federation.

Panorama biografico degli italiani d ... - Google Book Search

A reference to Amelia Sestini Bagnoli in what might be the index of a book called "Vita di Ippolito Rosellini padre dell'egittologia italiana" (Life of Ippolito Rosellini, father of Italian egyptology) (1987)

Vita di Ippolito Rosellini padre ... - Google Book Search

A reference (possibly with a photo) in "Dizionario delle scrittici italiane contemporanee" (Dictionary of Contemporary Italian Authoresses) (1957)

"amelia sestini" - Google Book Search

Comment

"Narrativa per ragazzi" means a children's (fictional) book.

"Stella di mare" means starfish.

Comment

I take it you don't have the name of Amelia's singer grandmother? It's going to be a bit difficult to research her without it. If you have an idea of the name, I can have a look on Italian sites.

Comment

The references I have are from a book about Dorothy Kerin:Mrs Kerin was the ninth child of Amelia (née Baggs) and William Price Wilson. Amelia Baggs' father, an Admiralty official, disowned his daughter when she married her music master. Mrs Kerin's great grandmother, the Contessa Clara Amelia Sistini, had been an Italian prima donna; and her own mother, Mrs Price Wilson was a vocalist of note from whom she had inherited a glorious coloratura voice. Her parents, who had sacrificed worldly prosperity and conformity to material standards, had given to their children a home in which love and joy were paramount, and far outweighed their problems through poverty
                    William Price James Wilson and Amelia Mary Baggs are OH's GGgrandparents so the relevant time would be the late 1700s/early 1800s. I'm not sure whether the Sestini/sistini spelling on this reference or the spelling on the birth cert are the "right" ones though I assume it didn't really matter at that time.
                    (The disowning story isn't quite correct as they were in the same house on census night 1851- Mr B had been declared insolvent!)
                    J

Comment

I've had a quick look for Clara Amelia, but I can't find anything, I'm afraid.

Comment

Thanks all for your help - another brick wall:( Not to worry J

Comment

Working...
                        X