Brickwall still standing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall still standing

I was hopeful that the 1911 Census would help confirm details on a birth cerificate. The baby, registered as Charles Albert Terry, was born in 1909 to Agnes Rose (nee Culver) and Albert Victor Terry, in Aldershot. The only Agnes Rose Culver I can find was living with her parents, in Kent, in both the 1901 and 1911 Censuses. I can find no record of a marriage between an Agnes Culver and an Albert Terry. This Agnes Culver is recorded as marrying a Charles Mckin (Mckim?) in ?1918, in Kent. There are many more Albert Terrys, but narrowing it down to 'Albert Victor', there was one living with his parents in both the 1901 and 1911 Censuses. His father's name was Charles and he had an uncle who was a builder in Farnham (where the baby's birth was registered). On the birth certificate, Albert is described as a stonemason - journeyman. I can't find any stonemason Alberts in 1911. The individual who had been figuring as 'x' in my genealogical algebra is described as 'butcher and coal merchant' (stange mix!). The baby, I found, as a one year old boarder in Kent (Tonbridge). He stayed with this couple until an adult.

So - what are the possibilities?
    Albert and Agnes never married, but lied on the birth certificate;

I have identified the right couple, who moved near to another branch of
    the man's family, for the baby's birth;

I have got the right mother/wrong father - or any combination.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to my next move?

Thanks

Julite

I see the Albert, son of Charles, was a bricklayer in 1901. What occ did he have in 1911? Or is he the butcher/coal merchant?

I would agree the couple were just pretending to be married when the child's birth was registered.

Comment

I would agree with Merry that the couple pretended to be married.

I have a couple in my family who had two children, both registered as if they were married, one registered by the father and one by the mother. Absolutely no sign of a marriage and the couple later parted. The children then changed their surname to their mother's. The mother later married using her maiden name, rather than a previous married name.

Jane

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It is Albert who is the butcher/coal merchant, living with his parents. If I do have the right Agnes and Albert, it would seem that they didn't stay together for any length of time as baby Charles Albert, born November 1909, was a 'boarder' by the time of the 1911 Census. I can see that the poor little soul wasn't with his natural parents. I just wonder whether they were economical with the truth concerning their names, as well as their matrimonial state! Is this likely?

Julite

Comment

Working...
        X