Registered twice- why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registered twice- why?

Happy New Year everyone! I haven't been on here for a couple of months as I decided to have a break! But now I am eager to start again! If I repeat myself in future posts about my OH's family I apologise . Now to my question. One of my OH's sisters was born in oct 1971. When I originally started researching the family I found her record in 1972 and didn't think about it until yesterday when I went through everything and started writing out the 'tree'. I then noticed it couldn't of been that year as her sister was born 5 months later! So I looked again and found her record in both years. Does anyone know why? I know its not really important but its bugging me now. Thanks everyone.
    Tessie

Could be the parents were not married and after later marriage re-registered daughter

Comment

that is true that they didn't marry until afterwards but she has fathers surname on both registrations and they are exactly one year apart!! I will ask them tomorrow whether they re-registered her! Thanks

Comment

Was he the father or took her as his daug when he married mum.Or Reg muck up & was corrected to the next year.
        tugman

Comment

tessie

You are looking at the indexes I assume.

Only very recently has it been necessary to tell the Registrar what SURNAME the child will use. Before that, in the case of an unmarried couple, no surname would appear on the cert for the child, but BOTH surnames would appear in the indexes as a form of cross referencing.

I suspect if you look in the index, you will find the earlier registration is in twice, once under father's name, once under mother's name, both leading to the same certificate. The later registration was when they married, and was necessary to legitimise the child.

OC

Comment

Isn't nice you are able to ask the question, what happen!!! instead of having to guess!!

Comment

OC is correct. I am registered twice however my initial registration is indexed under 3 surnames!
              Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Thanks everyone for our help!!

Comment

Working...
                X