No announcement yet.

Records of annulled marriages, ..1980s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Records of annulled marriages, ..1980s?

Where are the records and are they open to the public?
    We know there was a marriage in 1984,( date unknown) but rumour has it that the marriage was annulled.
    How can we find out the circumstances.?
    Who would have the power to direct this?
    As far as we know the marriage was legal.

Any help would be most welcome please.

The Principal Registry of the Family Division (PRFD) has responsibility for maintaining the index of all Decrees Absolute (Divorce and Annulments) in England and Wales.

Here's the address:

The Court Service
    Principal Registry of the Family Division
    Decree Absolute Searches Room 2.03
    First Avenue House
    42-49 High Holborn
    London
    WC1V 6NP

I would have thought if the marriage was legal then it can't be annulled?? I know in the past the Catholic Church has annulled marriages which would not be annulled in a civil court, but I didn't think that was recently.

Comment

Thank you for that Merry.

The couple were 'in care' and we've heard that maybe Social Services ( or other 'body' ) was involved.
      The lady kept her married name and has since died.
      I wondered whether her death certificate would reveal anything about her status ?

Comment

It might, but in theory if a marriage was legally annulled then it's as if it never happened.

Comment

Merry
          That's what I thought.
          I know a friend tried to order a certificate for a marriage in late 1800s and was told that it was not for public release. Presumably it had been 'flagged' in the registers, in some way.
          I think my first step must be to see if an annullment is recorded.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Marriages can be annulled by "interested parties" i.e. busybodies!

For a marriage to be annulled, several conditions must be met, the main one being that both parties must be able to give informed consent to marriage and, ahem, all that it entails.

Another major reason is non consummation of the marriage, where either partner either refuses, or is incapable of, consummating the marriage.

Another reason is the concealment at the time of the marriage, of facts which the intended spouse would reasonably have refused marriage. This used to be "insanity in the family" or serious major illnesses like the dreaded syphilis.

Slightly more light-hearted - if I agreed to marry Lord Sir Montague-ffortescue because he was filthy rich and had a a large seat in the country and then discovered after the marriage that he was Joe Soap the fishmonger's boy, I could have the marriage annulled.

Any of this sound likely?

OC

Comment

O.C.
              Thank you for that interesting information.
              I hadn't realised that 'busybodies' had such power.

We know the man involved, but he has never mentioned getting married, although he has mentioned by name his 'wife'.
              I know he visited her when she was terminally ill and one wonders if someone in authority decided what was 'best' for this couple?
              Perhaps one day he will tell us the circumstances?

Comment

Gwyn

Probably unfair of me to have an opinion as I don't know the circumstances, but "busy bodies" can be very persuasive, especially when they are in some kind of caring role to the pair.

However, they would have had to convince the Registrar that the marriage should be annulled, and they would need a good reason, certainly more than just "it's not nice". Also the couple would have to be coerced into agreeing that the marriage should be annulled.

If all conditions for a valid marriage are fulfilled, it cannot be annulled just because someone else doesn't like it.

OC

Comment

Thanks O.C.

He has mentioned that at times in the past people didn't always listen to his wishes. He is what would be termed a 'vulnerable adult' I guess, but certainly is gradually feeling more secure in voicing his opinions.
                  He showed me a photo of his wife recently, so one day he might feel comfortable about telling us more.

Comment

Working...
                  X