Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best research site

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and reasonably new to family history research, I first started research back years ago when it was all done at the local library using microfich, after a long gap due to lack of time and family commitments I'm ready to start again.
    I wonder if you would mind helping me decide which research site would be best, I have been looking at a few....St.caths.com, Ancestry to name but a few, but before I commit my hard earned cash to one of them which one have you 'experts' found the best.

Sandra

Hi Sandra
    Welcome to FTF.

A lot depends on the type of records you are wanting to look at. There isn't one site where you can get everything. If you are looking at England and Wales then there are two to consider.

For census, birth, marriage and death records and some military records Ancestry is pretty good. Find My Past (FMP) is pretty good but they don't have quite the depth of records available on Ancestry.

Price wise FMP has the edge BUT i did find a deal yesterday that knocks around 50% off the usual Ancestry price and is cheaper then the current FMP price. Ancestry is usually about £84, the details i found yesterday make the package about £40.

If you need Scottish records then the choice is a bit more limited.

We also have a few guides to using the sites and some tips for helping with searches in our wiki too, along with hundreds of links to local sites specific to counties and towns too.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 14-01-09, 17:01.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Before you hand over ANY hard earned cash, consider what you can do for free.

You can access the search engines for the Census via TNA (The National Archives)

You can use Freebmd to see if you can pick up births, marriages etc.

Sort out what you have already done and what you need to do.

Personally, I'd spend as much time as possible. deciding what I actually wanted and then have a 14 day free trial with Ancestry, saving all the images to my computer.

Having done most of my research pre computer days, I only use the subscription sites for the twiddley bits, not the bread and butter research. Doing work for a friend, I was somewhat shocked to discover that I'd found all the ancestors on all the censuses in not much over a month. Then you are back to record offices again for everything that isn't on the internet.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi Sandra,

Everyone has their own fav sites - I'm with Ancestry and that's fine for me. With the 1911 Census now available, there is another site to pay for.

If I went back 3 years to when I started my research (and I know you have mentioned you have already done a bit of research) - organisation - I'd make sure you were really organised with your folders and Direct Ancestors with record A4 sleeves etc etc

Once you subscribe to sites, you get stacks of data..........this is where the organisation pays off.

I like the 'thrill of the chase' on my research...........hence why I have a pile of info that I need to re-organise and file !

There are also a number of good free sites, such as : freebmd

Personally, I'd make sure your present research is well organised and then go for it.............go back stage by stage and enjoy.

You don't say how much research you already have, you might have loads already...........but with the speed of the Internet, the amount of info you can get rapidly is quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post

Price wise FMP has the edge BUT i did find a deal yesterday that knocks around 50% off the usual Ancestry price and is cheaper then the current FMP price. Ancestry is usually about £84, the details i found yesterday make the package about £40.
          Did u post the details about that Ancestry deal Glen, or are u keeping it to yourself ;)
          Pam

Comment

Ha ha ! Looks like we've all said much the same thing !

Comment

Originally posted by Pamdidle View Post
              Did u post the details about that Ancestry deal Glen, or are u keeping it to yourself ;)
              I bumped the thread up, i don't want to go overboard just in case Sandra would benefit from a different site or by a free trial or free library access.

Ancestry for £40ish is a good deal but not much use if you need Scottish results or a lot of pre 1837 stuff.

It's probably worth adding the wiki link to the Online Research pages;

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 14-01-09, 17:11.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hello and welcome Sandra.

If you look in the online research section on here

The Wiki - Family Tree Forum's Reference Library - Family Tree Forum

you'll find links to the most widely used research sites so that you can have a look at what each offers.

To be honest, I had never heard of St Caths.com before but, having now looked at their site, their charges for BMD certificates seem high at £14.95. Certificates are available direct from the GRO or the local Registrar for £7.00.
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                  Hello and welcome Sandra.

If you look in the online research section on here

The Wiki - Family Tree Forum's Reference Library - Family Tree Forum

you'll find links to the most widely used research sites so that you can have a look at what each offers.

To be honest, I had never heard of St Caths.com before but, having now looked at their site, their charges for BMD certificates seem high at £14.95. Certificates are available direct from the GRO or the local Registrar for £7.00.
                  That's a good point re the certificate prices, the same applies to Ancestry of course but their option at £19.99 is definately one to avoid.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

thanks all for your responses, I will definately look at those free sites first, but it seems as with everything in life there are pros and cons to each.

I am in Wales so I presume I will not need Scotland (you never know).

Sandra

Comment

Hiya
                      FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia
                      not bad site
                      tugman

Comment

Working...
                      X