No announcement yet.

Gale 19th C Newspapers access, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gale 19th C Newspapers access, anyone?

Has anyone got access to this via their local library or elsewhere, who could look someone up for me, please? My library doesn't have it and not planning a visit to British Library or Newpaper Library. Thanks!
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Hi Ann, I will try for you. Send me a pm if you like!

Just doing some cooking, if I don't reply instantly

Comment

Brilliant - thanks! Will pm you, Don't burn the dinner.....
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Is it still possible to get on there as I can't seem to access it any more. If anyone has the ways and means,please.

Comment

I think the only way you can get access now Sue is through local libraries.
          Elaine

Comment

Sue, have you checked your local library - it appears to be available within Suffolk.
            Gold standard reference services
            Elaine

Comment

I have access to newspapers via the Hertfordshire Library Service. For this you need to live in Herts and have a Herts Library ticket and you use the number on the back of your membership card to access. I am sure other counties also have access in this way but do not know which ones. Bedfordshire used to have access but they were in dispute with Gail over some technical problem and no longer have access.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Sue, have you checked your local library - it appears to be available within Suffolk.
                Gold standard reference services

I have accessed through my library card several times but the OLD newspapers don't seem to be part of it. They have more recent publications going back a few years but thats all. The Times is there and searchable.

Comment

Not very clear from their website what exactly is included.

Have you thought about contacting them to ask if they would consider including the earlier Gale collection - I am sure that is what Merry did with her local library and they very kindly obliged!
                  Elaine

Comment

Have you thought about contacting them to ask if they would consider including the earlier Gale collection - I am sure that is what Merry did with her local library and they very kindly obliged!
                    Indeedy!!

Comment

I shall do that, hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                        I have accessed through my library card several times but the OLD newspapers don't seem to be part of it. They have more recent publications going back a few years but thats all. The Times is there and searchable.

When I go onto the database in Herts Library Service, it's not terribly obvious... you have to "change databases" and then the Times Digital Archive comes up in the list of options.

Don't forget that there's that other Times Archive access - pay-as-you-go. The initial search is free, and might throw up something that the regular Gale one doesn't.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine's point is well made. A friend found an obituary - I think using Palmer's Index. I would have thought that obituaries would have appeared in every edition, but that wasn't the case. We searched the TDA newspaper inch by inch but failed to find it. In the end, she queried it at the Times' stand at WDYTYA last year and they managed to locate that particular edition for the day.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Apply to join Lancashire Libraries on line (Google it) They have Gales and Times on Line and others. They accept out-of-county applications and it is free.
                            Michael

Lincolnshire, East Yorkshire,Lancashire, Cheshire, Worcester and Montgomery (so far)

Comment

Originally posted by AianC View Post
                              Apply to join Lancashire Libraries on line (Google it) They have Gales and Times on Line and others. They accept out-of-county applications and it is free.

Thank you for that, have registered and have a temporary password to use.

Comment

Thank you Michael. I too have registered and received a temporary password.
                                Gillian
                                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Originally Posted by AianC

I think that's where Bedfordshire fell down. Gale would not accept that they were allowing non residents to belong to Bedforshire libraries.

Make the most of it if you get access that way!

I asked Carlisle libraries quite a long time ago. They never replied to my request and I was embarrassed to have it pointed out to me (by Elaine I think) that we did now have access to the 19C newspapers!

Anne

Comment

I put in a request at the Isle of Wight library as soon as the free trial for Gale finished but never heard any more. They have a very limited online reference database.
                                    Gillian
                                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I've also asked Essex Libraries and got a very nice reply that it is on their "to do" list when they have enough money. The rest of the service is very good though.

Perhaps if as many people as possible contact their local library they will realise that there is a demand for it.
                                      Jackie

Comment

Thanks Michael

I'm off to join Lancs too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X