2 girls? Ages? Date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 girls? Ages? Date?

I'm at a loss with this one from a family album. I originally though they were both girls, but is the right-hand one a boy? They are dressed so differently I'm confused! How old are they, and roughly when would this have been taken? All ideas gratefully received. Thanks

scuda

R-children.jpg
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

The children are from somewhere about the 1900ish mark, the one on the right is probably a little boy but it's entirely possible they both are! For centuries small children were dressed exactly the same. Sometimes it's possible to tell by looking at the toys they have, hoops and whips make it more likely to be a boy. Little boys didn't wear masculine things until they were breeched ( put into trousers) This could be about 4 or 5, but could be quite a bit later, at about 7.
    Last edited by Just Barbara; 15-01-09, 10:54.

Comment

Child on left has a bow in its hair................a girl....

Comment

1890,s brenda xxx

Comment

I'd say early 1900s - I have a pic of a great uncle dressed exactly as the (definite) boy on the right and I reckon it's early Edwardian. I think the dress length on the girl is too short to be late 1890s - the Victorians wouldn't have approved!
          OLD SALIAN

Researching:
          Barker - Hale, Cheshire/Leeds
          Greatorex - Winster, Derbys
          Rudd - Richard's Castle, Herefordshire
          Oakes - Liverpool
          Ormerod/Stott/Crabtree - Oldham/Rochdale

Comment

Thanks for your input. I was thinking early 1900s, so not too far out it seems. The relative who has the original thought it was later, and definitely two girls. So now we have to think about girl and boy, aged about 5 around 1900. Does that sound right?

scuda
            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I think the girl is about 5,but the boy would be about 18 months younger--'scuffed' toes on his shoes,could be an indication that in 'best' dress he's still stumbling--just my thoughts .

Comment

Just out of interest I have attached a photo of my house take in 1920. The house was built in 1917. Note the similarity of the black and white tiled path and the wrought iron work.
                Moggie
                Attached Files

Comment

Are you sure your house was built 1917?-during the war?

Comment

I agree with farnworthexile - the house looks older than 1917, maybe 10 years or so before?
                    OLD SALIAN

Researching:
                    Barker - Hale, Cheshire/Leeds
                    Greatorex - Winster, Derbys
                    Rudd - Richard's Castle, Herefordshire
                    Oakes - Liverpool
                    Ormerod/Stott/Crabtree - Oldham/Rochdale

Comment

When my son bought this house (with financial help from myself) about 4 years ago the solicitor send him a copy of the original land documents.
                      Moggie

Comment

I hate to put the cat amongst the pigeons but I have a photo of my mother around 1926 & she is wearing an almost identical dress as the "boy" on the right of the photo, with the dropped waist & the same collar & sleeves.

I would suggest it was taken around 1918-25.

Joanie

Comment

Have a look at this site & you will see what I mean:
                          Children in Costume History 1910-1920 Edwardian Fashions for Girls

I am not convinced it is a boy on the right! Maybe they are both girls, but the one on the left is in a more dressy frock, maybe for a birthday or family christening, or wedding?

Joanie

Comment

Would a boy really have hair that long in this period?

I think they're both girls and look around my daughter's age - she's 5.

Comment

Well, now I know why I was confused! If Joan's right about it being two girls around the early 1920s, that's putting it right back to what my relative thought.

As some of you are looking at the age of the house, this scan shows a bit more, which might have more clues. I'd thought probably early 1900s. Sorry, can't manage to paste it like I did with the other one, this link is the best I can do.

scuda
                              Attached Files

Comment

Houses up the road from us, built between 1897 and 1905 some still have those paths, they were very popular as was the style of house, ( just to add another kitty in with pigeons,,;))

Comment

Sorry Scuda I mixed up maudarby's photo with yours! I thought is was your post & a different photo of the same house :o They are similar though

I still think that the dresses could range between 1911-22. My Mum's family was not well off but I suspect her mother made her clothes from patterns in the early 1920's. The hairstyles are very different though, Mum's was cut in a smooth short bob, as was her sister's.

Joanie

Comment

I was confused enough already, Joan, please don't make it worse!!

scuda

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                                      Would a boy really have hair that long in this period?

I think they're both girls and look around my daughter's age - she's 5.
                                      late employer husband has a large portriate of his grandfather in a dress and a straw hat.so it would be 1880 i would say they dressed boys up in dresses untill they were 5 brenda xxx

Comment

The view showing more of the house gives a better indication of the size of the children.
                                        I'd say they were shorter than 5 years old, ..perhaps 3 +..?
                                        My sister lives in a similar house, built c. 1910, ..so photo within a few years of that?

Comment

Working...
                                        X