1911 census - reference numbers and institution names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census - reference numbers and institution names

Does anyone know the reason why the reference number for each household has two different series/piece numbers? E.g. my Wandsworth households have the number "RG14PN2385" etc (which is presumably series RG14, piece number 2385) - no problem. But they also have the number "RG78PN79" etc. What is the significance of this second number, and is it necessary to quote both in order to give a unique reference (along with the sheet number, of course)? I have noticed that it is only the households that have this second reference - the institutions have only the RG14 number.

A separate issue - is it possible to find out the names of institutions from the reference number alone? The institution name is given not on the downloaded image of the page. Is the institution named on the transcription download? Surely we don't have to buy both to get the info! I've been looking on the National Archives site to no avail.

Richard

Richard - yes the transcription shows the name and address of the institution, according to Geraldine Post 7

Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Blimey! What a rip-off!! So I paid 30 credits (£3.60) to get the image and now they want another £1.20 just so that I can find out where it was! @#!$@^ bunch of crooks :(

anyway, thanks for letting me know!

Comment

Hi Richard, (from another Richard!), have just posted on other 1911 thread, I have exactly the same problem, and much the same thoughts as you on the matter. I think they really should remedy this, it is unfair. If your relative was an institution you have to shell out more than if they were at home, there's no reason to justify that, they (FMP) quite easily could and should provide the adress info free with the full image.

Comment

I wonder whether the two ref numbers would relate to the householder's form and the enumerator's book (not yet online)?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite - yes that must be it. The RG78 series must be the enumerators books which are not yet available. The piece numbers are much lower than for the RG14, which makes sense as the enumerators books would have far more names per page so there would be less total pages. That also explains why the institutions don't have the RG78 number, as presumably they didn't copy all the long lists of names from the institution returns into separate enumerators books.

Richard - well at least I'm not the only one with the problem. I've e-mailed the 1911 census site and expressed my grievance, maybe if everyone does this they might get the message!

Richard.

Comment

Update:

I have finally found the explanation of the reference numbers on the 1911 site (you need to click on the ? alongside the "census reference" box on the advanced search form):

Census reference

If you have precise references for a census page you wish to view, you can go straight to that page by entering the references into this field.

Census references can be entered in any order, but the prefix (RG, PN, RD etc.) must be included.

Each reference should be separated by a space. For example: RG14 PN8600 RG78 PN445 RD167 SD3 ED11 SN200

A key to the references is below:

RG14 – this is the reference for household schedules. RG refers to the Registrar General series of records held by The National Archives (TNA).

RG78 – is the reference for the enumerators’ summary books.

PN – is the piece number within RG14 or RG78.

RD – is the Registration District number.

SD – is the Registration Sub District number.

ED – is the Enumeration District number.

SN – is the Schedule Number within RG14.

Comment

Working...
              X