1911 Census has confused me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census has confused me...

Had a bit of a play round with the 1911 census today, and am very confused with the results. Entered my great grandmother's name, and her address at the time appears to be - Horfield Barracks, Ashley Down, Bristol (I've downloaded the original page, and the birthplace and age correspond).

However, entered her parents names and nothing relevant came up. Her mother appears not to exist on this census, and there's someone with the same name as her father but with a different birth place. Searched FreeBMD, and it appears her father died two years prior to the 1911 census.

Question is, why can't I find her mother? And why is she living in Bristol on the 1911 census, when she was in London/Middlesex on the 1901 census and married in London 14 years later?

There's also this nagging doubt that I'm looking at the wrong person, but that leaves me just as confused with as many questions.

Did her mother remarry?
    How old is gt grandmother in 1911? Could she have been working at the Barracks or visiting someone?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
      Did her mother remarry?
      How old is gt grandmother in 1911? Could she have been working at the Barracks or visiting someone?
      I'm not entirely sure. She was 11 at the time, so probably too young to be working.

Comment

Horfield Barracks

I have just traced one of my husbands ancestors to Ashley Down and it appears that it was an orphanage. Dulcies mother had died in 1906 her two oldest children lived with their grandmother , the two youngest died in Barnados and it would appear poor dulci was shipped off to Bristol.Maybe that it was for children of servicemen?

Comment

School leaving age was raised to 12 in 1899, so it is unlikely she would be working. I had a gt gt aunt who was widowed with 6 young children, 2 of whom were placed in an orphanage for a while.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Just seen this.

hderriman said yesterday -
            I have just traced one of my husbands ancestors to Ashley Down and it appears that it was an orphanage.
            There was an orphanage at Ashley Down, but it was Muller's Orphanage or Muller's Homes.

Horfield Barracks was a different place, different site - probably listed as in Ashley Down district, but it's on the edge of Horfield Common. I believe it's where a TA Barracks was/is, so I'd guess it used to be an Army Barracks.

Good luck, rithompson.

Bee.
            Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
            COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

I believe that the place listed on the 1911 census is the same place as Millers Orphan House as listed in the 1901 census as the address given is Ashley Down, Bristol part of ward Horfield. The children listed on the 1911 census are all girls and listed as inmates the same as in 1901. Maybe the Institution name changed or was just listed differently.The name Dulci that I found was deffinitely the right child as her place of birth was Camberwell, London

Comment

If she is in an orhanage are you sure her mother is alive? If you are maybe the mother had to work on the death of her husband. If she went into service or became a boarder then her place of birth and/or age may not be recorded correctly. So you may have to think creatively to see where you can find her.
                Kit

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply - never have been good at these message board things!

Been doing a bit more research, the institution name on 1911census.co.uk is now saying Mullers Orphan Houses and I'm pretty sure one of her sisters was there too. (And I'd been spelling her sister's name wrong!)

Still have questions, and am looking down various paths for answers.

Comment

The 1911 is more than confusing - it's farcical. Looked for a name and it came up with a correct spelling and age. Looked for the child's mother and siblings and they don't appear to exist at all, not just missing from that address !

Comment

Originally posted by BC View Post
                      The 1911 is more than confusing - it's farcical. Looked for a name and it came up with a correct spelling and age. Looked for the child's mother and siblings and they don't appear to exist at all, not just missing from that address !
                      That could be because of errors collecting data at the time, or the enumerator person couldn't fill out the forms properly for whatever reason. Found a good book in my local library about censuses, yesterday - "Census: The Expert Guide" by Peter Christian and David Annal. It's a very recent book and has a chapter covering the 1911 census and possible explanations as to why ancestors are missing.

Comment

Working...
                      X