• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname entered incorrectly on 1901 census

I dont know if this has been asked before, please forgive me if it has

Can you get the 1901 census online website to update their
    records to show the correct spelling of a surname ? I know you
    can contact ancestry and they will update the online records.

Clare

I haven't been on the 1901 site for a long time. As I recall, the correction system used to require you to be able to quote the piece number (?and rest of the reference?) - so you had to have paid for a transcription or image.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have an image from the census. I can see why it was mistranscribed, even
      I can just about read it

I'll contact them and see what they say

Thanks for the info Christine

Clare

Comment

I contacted 1901 support and they sent me the following :-

Dear clare

Thanks for your email.

Thanks for reporting errors in our 1901 Census database.

We now have a facility where you can report the errors directly. I have given you some credits so you can report this transcription error and receive an email when it has been processed.

1) Please perform a person search for the individual again.
        2) Please click on the name of the person
        3) Please click on the link to the right hand side of the transcription details which reads 'report an error in transcription'.
        4) Please amend the relevant fields.

I can confirm that if a surname is spelt incorrectly across the whole household, please submit the amendment for one person only. All the other family names will be corrected.
        Regards

Comment

Working...
        X