Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much did your ancestors occupations changefrom 1901 - 1911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much did your ancestors occupations changefrom 1901 - 1911?

I am really surprised to see a whole new range of occupations being thrown up by the 1911!!

Up 'till now I, like a lot of others have had my fair share of Ag Labs but now after looking at quite a few images of the 1911 (Roll on payday!!) have got a whole new set of occupations including:-

Traction Engine Driver for Pickfords General Carriers
    Material Mixer in Gramophone Works
    Milk man
    Police Constable

Now I know these are not a big step up from Ag Labs but we do seem to be moving in the right direction!!! lol

The BBC were reporting that one of David Beckams ancestors was a scavenger..:D and Amy winehouses were selling fruit!

Alot of people for me and OH had died between 1901 and 1911. Found GGM and two siblings in a childrens home, one had joined the Navy ( but I knew that ;) ) some others had grown up and gone into service one is still missing and so is GGD.... I think he came from mars in 1883 and then disappeard back there after his wife died...

GGGgrandad is still an ag lab.....:D

Comment

No real change with mine - mainly all coal/ironstone miners and boot finishers and shoe makers

Comment

One thing I have noticed is that the ladies now have jobs recorded as opposed to just being left blank last time. I've come across waitresses, cashiers, machinists, and others.

Everyone else has been doing what I expected them to be doing.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

My great grandfather coyly says he is a commercial clerk for a general manufacturing and retail company.

He was actually a senior partner in the Co-operative Wholesale Society in Manchester!

OC

Comment

Pass the smelling salts........my grandmother has been recorded as a restaurant waitress (think Edith Evans) in 1911

She was supposed to have been a PA for "someone very important"!! lol

Comment

Most of my lot are doing same or similar as in 1901. But my ag lab lot were already changing. The Norfolk ag labs started becoming London policemen as soon as they were old enough to join.

Only my Glos lot remain steadfastly rural, working on farms. But shortly after 1911 they moved up to Aylesbury.

I was quite interested to find that husband's grandmother was living in Gt Ormond Street and that her grandparents were in Lambs Conduit Street which bisects it - I was walking along those two very roads only a week ago when I went up to London!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Merry

I expect "important" people came to the restaurant, didn't they?
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My cousins Grandfather is recorded as a stoker on the railway 1901.

A fireman on his marriage cert in Nov 1901 but by the 1911 they had

moved back to his family home in Thakeham Sussex & he is a farm labourer.
                  Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Working...
                  X