1911 Residency Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Residency Problem

As is normal for my favourite brickwall he has, yet again thrown me another curveball.

In 1911, my great great grandad William Henry Chadwick's birthplace is down as "Malta, Corfu" - which, as everybody knows, is two separate places. In the Nationality part of the new census, he is down as "resident, sea".

Could this possibly mean he was born at sea between Malta and Corfu, or is there some other meaning to this ?

Thank you for any comments

I would think it means that he was at sea when born.
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Have you looked at the image or the transcription? It may say Malta/Corfu on the image, if it means at sea, on the way?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I hope I've done this properly, I've attached the bit of the census where it tells you birthplace and nationality, as you can see, it says Malta, Corfu, but its the other bit I am not sure of. I am sure it says "residence sea" but I think one bit is by the enumerator and the other by William Henry himself, thanks Christine and Sally or answering me previously, on looking at this bit of the census, would you still think the same ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Looking at this he was either born at sea in between the 2 places or... if you look at the history of Corfu it has a Maltese population so I wonder if there is a place called Malta on Corfu. I prefer the sea option.
          Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Really silly question as I don't know the answer. Is there a separate at sea register to the overseas register?
            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Have you checked the Ionian Civil Registration Births (1818-1864) on Find My Past?

Comment

Just looking through the list I am presuming that you have checked the following?

Army Indices
                Chaplains Birth Indices
                Births Abroad
                Consular Births
                Ionian Chaplains Returns - Births
                Ionian Military Registrations - Births
                GRO Marine Indices - Births
                GRO Regimental Birth Indices

Sorry if you have looked at all of these already.

Comment

For the first column, the header notes - if born at sea write 'at sea'
                  Also, if born elsewhere than in England, state whether 'resident' or 'visitor'. So I think your fellow was born at sea (around Malta/Corfu - as yet to be determined) and is now a resident of England.

Comment

I agree with Margaret.
                    Kit

Comment

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, Pippa I have looked at all the Ionian/Army/born at sea registers and of course he isn't on any of these, but at least it is now a little clearer as to where William Henry was born probably in between Malta and Corfu at sea, it also makes more sense of the possibility that his father was executed in Corfu.

Ah well, await the official marriage certificate and see if his father was in the army and then see if there are any army records for him.

Once again, thanks everybody or helping

Comment

Working...
                      X