Institutions on 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Institutions on 1911

Like others, I have wasted money buying credits on 1911 to try to get back to the name of an institution and after a while I have given up.

What institution would see both husband and wife there; in company with other Directors, shop owners, persons with own means etc. -amounting to at least fifty at the last count before I gave up, and with seemingly the same number of "servants".

I might add, that their six year old boy was left at home with their own servants........ so would this be a hotel? Any ideas would be welcome, because I don't intend to keep throwing money at this, and it strikes me as naughty that 1911 are charging for each page viewed even though it is the same address.

On closer inspection of the form purchased, the "servants" at the institution were housekeepers, waitresses etc., so it would definitely appear to be a hotel or something similar.
    Last edited by sally; 13-01-09, 19:13.
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Hi Sally
    I read a post on here earlier and someone had the same problem but worked out how to find the name of the institution - I will see if I can find the thread again - Back in a mo!

Comment

I haven't paid for anything on the 1911 site yet, but I would imagine that searches and images that you have paid to view are listed for you to go back to later without paying again.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I'm Back...

Now geraldine posted the thread but as yet has not answered the question "how did you do it?" Here's the thread anyway...

She might post the answer up later!!

Comment

Yes Uncle John they are stored in "My records"
          PAT

Comment

I have found my gran in an institution, all I did was search and add what info I knew,

I got a transcript first for 10 credits, and then the image, when I looked at the bottom of the transcript page, it gave the address of the institution, which I am doubly chuffed about as I knew she was an orphan but didnt expect to find her TWO sisters with her one I knew of but the other one I knew NOTHING about.

am a happy bunny!
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Sorry, I meant to post a reply before :o

Yup, I had the same problem. It's embarassing really ;) After looking at page, I looked at the transcript (I don't think I used credits for it). Scroll down to the bottom & the institution details are there. The info you get is below.

REDMAN WILLIAM (RG14PN5560 RD90 SD2 ED43 SN9999)
              Institution name Portsmouth Children's Home
              Address ST MARY'S ROAD KINGSTON PORTSMOUTH County Hampshire
              District Portsmouth Subdistrict Kingston and East Southsea
              Enumeration District 43 Parish

Comment

Sorry, only just come back on the site...... will go and look at the transcript now.
                Thank you everyone, I guess that I am just too over excited to look properly.
                Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

OOOH, yes, there it is at the bottom.

Smedley's Hydropathic Co. Ltd. in Matlock, Derbyshire.

Thank you everyone. ..........um, now have to look up Hydropathic .....

Comment

I would think that it is probably a spa as I think Matlock is a spa town. People would go there for restorative treatments & to drink the water
                    Lynn

Comment

Just been googling it, and yes it was a sort of health spa it seems. I'm quite disappointed actually............ !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
                        Just been googling it, and yes it was a sort of health spa it seems. I'm quite disappointed actually............ !!!!
                        Disappointed?? I think that's great - I wonder how exclusive health spas were back then?;)

Comment

My ggg auntie, Matilda Colwood, is in an institution in 1911. It is the same institution she died in during the 1940s. She was from a very poor working class family and the only lady to have not married. She lived with her parents and then her mother and step father in 1901 and there was never anything written in the end column for her. I think I will have to see if the workhouse records have survived. If she was in there continually between before 1911 unti her death in 1948 she was in there for possibly more than 40 years.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom, have you noticed that in the right hand column for 1911 they have blanked out the bit that would show any infirmities. Why is this I wonder? Your dear lady might have been one of thousands who were locked away for no real reason.

Deb - I was hoping that it was a prison, or some such interesting institution!! It becomes tedious when relatives do nothing scandalous. I do have one likely candidate though, and will pursue her relentlessly!!!

Comment

Sally, they have blocked the bit on the far right of the 1911 census because it is classed as "sensitive info" and will not be released until 100 years after, so in 2012 we will be able to see that column.

I don't think it is a case that she was locked up for no reason, she never married and after her step father died and then her mother died she wouldn't have been able to be supported by her siblings as they all had big families of their own and lived in only a few rooms. (They were all coal miners), it is very sad though. My great uncle would have been in his 20s when Matilda died, and my Nana was 18 and they both lived in the same small village Matilda died in, but neither of them knew anything about her. She was their great auntie. Very sad.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post

Deb - I was hoping that it was a prison, or some such interesting institution!! It becomes tedious when relatives do nothing scandalous. I do have one likely candidate though, and will pursue her relentlessly!!!
                                I know what you mean Sally! I'm always hoping that one day I might find a real bit of scandal - not just the odd illeg child here and there!!

Comment

Tom, that is so sad - it illustrates the down side of our research really, because one becomes so involved with the ancestors that we feel for them, and their hardships. That story of yours is is very moving - but like Deb, I was hoping to find some juicy gossip to relieve the normality of my ancestors' lives

Am giving up for tonight, because Ancestry and all related sites seem to be either crashing or on a go slow

Comment

Originally posted by Deb N View Post
                                    I know what you mean Sally! I'm always hoping that one day I might find a real bit of scandal - not just the odd illeg child here and there!!
                                    There is always George, wherever and however he fits in! George has the unusual surname of Colwood / Coalwood and must be a rellie somewhere along the line, and is in prison on a couple of the census.

It is sad Sally, and we spend so much time researching our rellies that we do feel we know them. Matilda is actually also related to Deb N, as we are distant cousins and both related from a Coalwood couple who were married in 1777.

Comment

Working...
                                    X