Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the better website, your views please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the better website, your views please?

I am currently a member of Ancestry and this subscription expries in March 2009. I am keen to use the 1911 census and note that you have to have Find my Past credits for this. Does anyone know whether FMP intend to have access to 1911 census via FMP packages, I expect the most expensive one!

I can't decide which is the best value option to renew Ancestry and buy credits on FMP or to cancel Ancestry and join FMP but do I still have to buy credits for the 1911, so in a muddle!

Help!

It doesn't seem likely that the fmp sub will give access to the 1911 for ages yet, so whichever site you subscribe to, you would still have to buy 1911 credits too.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Gill,

I belong to FMP as of December 28 but I joined despite the fact that I knew that it would NOT have the 1911 Census on their packages as yet, but they may do at some future point. Realistically I doubt it will be this year. Maybe next year, but nobody knows. So you join FMP and you still have to buy your credits for the 1911 Census. FMP hope to have all the census bar 1911 on their site over this coming year. Most are on there now, but a couple are incomplete. Only you can decide where you think you will get more info for you. Ancestry have all the census now whereas you will have to wait a bit longer for FMP but there are overseas BMD on FMP which are not on Ancestry. FMP military records are not as good as Ancestry but may improve.

I miss the access to the old FRC in London and I find I can trawl the BMD on FMP much better and quicker than on Ancestry, so I can use Free BMD in conjunction with the FMP one. Again I miss the access to the overseas index that was at the FRC so now I have access once more.

The parish records on both sites are not very good and I find Free Reg much better for me.

I also decided that I could have free access at the library for ancestry for the rare occasions I needed it so all in all that is why I went for FMP. Just write down on paper your pros and cons and then make a decision. And good luck with what you decide to do.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 13-01-09, 20:00.

Comment

Guy has posted this link as worthy of attention:
        Généalogie : recherchez vos ancêtres, publiez votre généalogie, consultez l'état-civil ... - GeneaNet

and this one has been posted recently, too:
        World Vital Records - Family history, genealogy information and genealogy research & training

I think you have to look at what each offers, consider what you have already versus what you are likely to need, and then make you choice (having prices in mind, of course!)

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And bear in mind that FMP census searches often time out, whilst Ancestry's never do!

Comment

Working...
          X