British subject by parentage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British subject by parentage?

The 1911 census has thrown up a mystery granddaughter of my gt grandmother, I've ordered her birth cert but can't wait, so thought I'd ask your opinions.

As my gt grandmother only had daughters and the granddaughter who is with her on the 1911 has the same surname, I'm assuming she is illigitimate. But in the nationality column it says "British subject by parentage". The place of birth column says Redhill, Surrey, which fits with the rest of the family.

Anyone got any ideas on this please?
    Sue

As she gives a place of birth in England I guess she has done the same as my great uncle George did and misread the heading of the next column. Athough it asks for "Nationality of every person born in a foreign country" he carefully wrote "British subject by parentage" beside all his Suffolk born children.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for your reply Judith. I too thought it might be a mistake, but she'd written British for herself and nothing for the one remaining daughter who's still with her (there's only the three of them in the household) So thought it strange!

Oh I can't wait for the cert to come!! This might be another illigitimate child of my grandmother that nobody knew of!

Just had a thought - there was a rumour that one of gt grannies daughters went off to Australia (have neverbeen able to trace her), could that account for it?
      Sue

Comment

If this helps, OH's great-grandfather went to South America and two of his children were born there. In the 1911, it classes each as 'British subject by parentage'.

Gwyn
        Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

Thanks Gwyn. Not too long to wait for the cert, it should be here next week. But can't help being impatient!
          Sue

Comment

have you thought you may have a differnet skin colour?
            wye surrey/london/birmingham
            lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
            hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
            ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
            herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
            armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

One of my families has filled in that column too.
              For every member of the family, all 8 of them, the words British Subject is carefully written.
              I have no reason to suppose they were anything other, as they were all born in London, as were their parents and grandparents before them, so in this case I feel sure it was an over-diligent form filler!!

However, in your case, where there is reason to suspect g.granny's daughter may have had an illiegitimate daughter - looks like you are going to have to be very very patient and wait for that cert to arrive!
              It's a killer isn't it!!!!!!
              Karen x

Comment

No tinkerbe, I hadn't thought of that. As I don't think there's going to be a fathers name on the cert, that'll be something I'll probably never know.

Karen, yes it is a killer!! I must try and be more patient!

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
                Sue

Comment

Working...
                X