Scotland 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland 1911 census

Just seen an item on Reporting Scotland.

We are going to have to wait another 2 years before release. :(

No great surprise that the GROS spokesman quoted the old 100 years confidentiality nonsense.

Why can't they do the same as England and blank out the final column if they feel that way about it.

As we can all access BMD and divorce details in Edinburgh or local register offices (and some earlier ones online at home) we are likely to already know all the info that's listed including any bairns that didn't survive. Apart from a change of occupation and address between censues - what else is there to know.

There's no logic in their attitude that I can see.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-01-09, 20:58.

Unfortunately Scottish law is different. Would you wish it otherwise??
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Galloway Lass

Blimey, your Scottish lot must be a lot easier than mine then!

I can't wait for the 1911 Scottish census to see if my grandparents had any siblings - they have such very common names it has proved impossible to work out in the traditional way.

AS UJ pointed out, Scottish law is different from English law, and the FoI Act (Scotland) specifically excluded census information - the English lawyers forgot to exclude it!

OC

Comment

Oh no they're not unfortunately. I've got more than my fair share of skeletons on both mine and OH's trees. In my lot, the stork had a bad habit of depositing bairns on the half landing instead of the top step. In OH's side, they were mostly legitimate, they just divorced a lot and threw in a name change and a bigamy to spice things up. :D

I'm lucky in that the OH lives near Edinburgh and I treat myself to a week in Register House once a year. Works out cheaper in the long run although I've spent a fortune on ScotlandsPeople coz I can't be patient and wait till I get there.

Where's your Scottish lot from?

Comment

Galloway Lass

Most recently from Aberdeen, but they congregated there from Banffshire and Kincardineshire.

They got married a lot but forgot they were married and used their maiden names when they were away from home. They pretended the grandchildren were lodgers and they pretended they had never been married when in fact they were widowed.

They used Gaelic and English names interchangeably and even invented a surname which appears only ONCE in all records other than their own.

Add that to Ancestry bloopers and it is a fine old chase!

OC

Comment

Working...
          X