No hits with 1911 census.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No hits with 1911 census.

With eager anticipation, bought my credits and tried to search family members all in Liverpool area. All I got was 'No results' for 7 different names and a possible. I'm passed the novice stage and wonder if anyone else has had bad luck?

My Spanish grandfather should be in Liverpool.Could be a problem with his name I suppose.I can't find him.

Comment

Oh dear. You could have searched for free and waited to buy the credits until you needed them, but I suppose it's a bit late to say so now! I think some bits are missing from the counties which are available, but not sure where it tells you.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite,
        Yes, the search is free as I understand..............one pays to view so I have until April use my credits.

Comment

Having checked on the site, it says all the householders' forms have survived and it is just some of the enumerators' books that haven't, so probably your problem is due to a mistranscription and they might turn up eventually.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite......................I can wait until April.

Comment

Good point Janet, you make a lot of sense but impatient me jumped in with 2 large feet.

Comment

Alan - see my post about place names on another thread .......

I've been looking at the index out of curiosity. (I don't actually NEED anything from this census) I wanted to flag up the slightly odd place descriptions as a warning to others.

I have found family members who I know were born and lived in Silkstone (West Riding of Yorks). For all of them it says Penistone. Now I know that's not far away but in all the previous censuses Silkstone has NEVER been associated with Penistone.

I guess it may be the same with other places ..... just a warning!

I think the searches are a bit strange - try the 'less is more' technique. You'll get a much bigger list but can probaly spot them when you scroll through it.

Anne

Comment

No luck with some of my friend's ancestors in Northamptonshire - I guess their surname is either mistranscribed or recorded with a spelling variant.
                  She'll just have to wait a bit longer!

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sorry Alan, I deleted my post because I thought when I reread what you said initially that it did not have any relevance, and now I have forgotten what I said, beyond the fact that having jumped in too eagerly yesterday and spending money going nowhere fast, I took a step backwards today, just used the free access and found out a lot of information, using Free BMD in conjunction with the census, and I have spent nothing today but have furthered my research considerably.

One other point looking for my Grt Grandmother who was Irish born, I only found her by knowing the Townland and leaving out her first name and doing a bit of cross checking. Of course her age is out by 4 years so putting the age in was useless with just the narrow 2 years.:(

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 13-01-09, 15:52.

Comment

You didn't do what I keep doing, did you, and put the surname in the first name box and the first name in the surname box?!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes Alan,
                        It's not producing results on free search for me, either. Are we going to find it grossly overrated or is this a cunning ploy to make everyone pay for access ? This site threw a wobbly as well - twice I tried to write this message and each time it told me my message was too short - before I had typed even one letter !!!

Comment

Little Nell

Done that as well and this with the Grt G mother from Ireland!! I got properly tied up for a while until i realised what I had done!

Janet

Comment

Just to thank all for their contributions and No, Little Nell....entered names correctly this time. "I'm excessively attentive to these matters" ....from somewhere in Pride & Prejudice .

Comment

Glad to know you only quote from the best, Alan!
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I found that the mother had written Lillie on the census for both herself and daughter and not Lily which I'd put in expecting a result. Got it by trawling surname only.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I was a happy bunny doing free searches just to confirm that people had stayed put. I have one or two members of families who have gone walkabout. Just getting into my stride when I got chucked off.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                  X