Problems with ftm 2006 registration on Vista 32bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with ftm 2006 registration on Vista 32bit

I am looking for guidance on how to rectify this problem.
    I have suceeded in installing FTM2006 + patch for pdf on my new vista laptop but am unable to use websearch as the registration feature will not work. Have exhausted email enquiries via Ancestry support none of their solutions work I am now being advised to upgrade to 2009. I have the new software and am not impressed with the functionality even though it does run on vista my family book structure will be lost. Has anyone got a similar experience with vista or this particular problem??
    Sandy

h if you put this on the FTM help board you may get better luck

Comment

Welcome to FTF Sandy

I'm wondering if you have two issues or just the one.

You mention the patch for pdf, ftm 2006 does need an update patch to work with Vista but that is for the main programme not anything associated to pdf options. Issues with PDF exporting or printing problems usually point to either a missing, damaged or incorrectly selected FTM printer setting.

The registration problems are usually attributed to firewall settings or different username/password combinations to your Ancestry subscription. If i'm honest the majority of the time the websearch facility isn't a huge amount of use anyway, it doesn't save the census information relating to the household, it just lists Ancestry as a source of a record (and 2006 has known problems retaining the search criteria in most cases).
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
        You mention the patch for pdf, ftm 2006 does need an update patch to work with Vista but that is for the main programme not anything associated to pdf options.
        Umm, have to disagree with you slightly there Glen. Without the patch you cannot export pdf files or view books. I do agree that sometimes printer drivers can also be a problem but the patch is definitely needed for pdf's.

Anyway, that's not the current problem - so welcome Sandy!
        I know we have discussed this registration problem before on here but I cannot see the thread at the moment.
        What firewall do you have on your computer and which browser are you using?
        Elaine

Comment

Browser = IE7
          Firewall = Norton 360v2
          Windows firewall is disabled.
          I am rather disturbed at the moment that 4 years work with FTM may be about to be lost ie 27 Family Books with Photographs & copies of Registrations
          If I cant solve this. It will mean either changing the new laptop to XP or finding a new software package that will import. At present my old laptop is not coping with almost 3,000 records the reason for buying a bigger supposedly more efficient one.

Comment

Hi Sandy,
            I know Firefox can cause problems during registration but as you are using IE that solves problem no.1

I also believe Norton can conflict so if you feel confident enough then I would suggest you disable Norton while you try to register - you can then enable it again immediately after.

Have you had a look at this link on the FTM online help centre
            Answer

My last piece of advice if none of the above work is to post a query on the FTM online help forum. There is a resident 'expert' by the name of Russ Worthington who will talk you through what you need to do in very simple terms! In fact if you read through some of the posts you might find something which will be of help to you.
            Family Tree Maker Installation Forum

Let us know how you get on and whether you have managed to sort it.
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that Elaine have already spent 3 weeks with FTM online help centre
              and have tried all of their solutions to no avail but will certainly try your second suggestion and willupdate here if I get the solution

Comment

I usually find that Russ on the online help forum is much better than the FTM online help centre.
                Have you tried him - the second link on my previous post.
                Elaine

Comment

Not yet Elaine,

Have a free day tomorrow so will definitely be following that link Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X