Any idea of the date or uniform please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea of the date or uniform please

Please could anyone give a date for this photo it was taken in Hounslow or the uniform

Thank you Margaret

Margaret
    What does the writing say ?
    If we can locate the photo studio, then that might help with the date
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

There was a J C Mayger 128 High St Hounslow operating in 1909 but I can't find any details for the period it was open.
      Robert

Comment

This doesn't help at all but there's a James J Mayger ... Photographer and family on the 1901 census ... but they're in Grove Road, Isleworth (near one end of Hounslow High Street)
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

My eye sight is not very good all I can make out is High Street Hounslow looking at the photo the solider on the right was born in 1882 thank you rachel and Robert

Margaret

Comment

I think they are Boer War Soldiers, will keep looking.....

Comment

thank you Barbara do you know if there was an army base at HounslowMargaret

Comment

Goode morning Margaret,

There was, and still is I believe, an army base at Hounslow (the old barracks held the "title" for the last soldier to be flogged to death -I think that this happened about 1845/46-) as for the photograph I would place it as being about 1900 to 1902/3 seeing that you have a date of birth for one of them being 1882. A couple of things come out of the image, this being, there was a photographer by the surname of Mayger operating in the Hounslow area in the early part of the 1900 as there was in 1881 although two different people they may well have been related. The one in the early 1900's had his address as The High Street Hounslow so again could well be the same person as yours. The uniform that they are wearing is walking out dress and the cane that they carry is just that, a cane- it was said to add to the over all appearence of the soldier and to keep his hands busy lol -. They are wearing a style of Glengarry which would date it before 1902/3 as this was when this style of cap was replaced by firstly in 1902, a soft felt slouch hat based on the one's worn in the South Africa Campaign (the Boer War) , followed by the peakless Brodrick Cap, then finally in 1905 came the khaki undress peaked forage cap which was to be known as the Service Dress Cap (SD cap). The collar and cuff facings being dark in the photograph I would have a stab and say that they were more than likely a blue colouring and if so then his/their regiment would have had a Royal prefix to its title. If it is possible for you to do a close up of the collar badges and post that as a picture the regimental badge may be distinguishable. My first thought on looking at the badge is that it looks like a grenade/flaming bomb but it is not that clear to be certain.

don

Comment

Hello Don thank you for your information The man on the right of the photo was a George Poole and I have is service records from Ancestry it says he was in the 20th Hussars and then joined up to go the Queens Royal West Surrey regiment he was injured and pensioned out I have the records from Ancestry but do not really understand them. If you have Ancestry and would care to take a look his reg. no was 3233 George Poole born in Edmonton Middlesex thank you I really had a lot trouble putting the photo on the site and I do noit have the original only a photo copy

Margaret

Comment

unfortunately I have not, as yet, subscribed to ancestry (strangely enough I was just having a conversation with my wife about joining them or FMP as your reply came through) so I can not see the images that you quote from. As you have his two regiments I would say that it is the uniform of the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment that he is shown wearing, if it was the Hussar's then he would more than likely have worn a pill box cap rather than a glengarry and would have had a different tunic than the one shown.

don

Comment

Working...
                    X