Vanguard??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard??

Does anyone know whattype of occupation this was? I have looked on the wiki and googled but I can't find anything? It is a 17 year old lad in canning town west ham doing this in 1911??

Are you sure that's what it says, Kelly?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite yes Im sure I re read it a few times and like I said spent ages googling but came up with nothing its def in the occ column th eonly thing I can think is that it has been transcribed wrong but to look at the orriganal document it costs a fortune!

Comment

Unfortunately that is going to be the only way to find out what it really says.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Am I being thick? Isn't a vanguard someone who guards a van? Possibly on the railways.

OC

Comment

I did wonder OC but I couldn't find anything to back it up!

Kite I think it may have to wait for the prices to come down, how much does it work out at to see the image?

Comment

If you buy 60 credits for £6.95 and use 30 to view the image then it's just under £3.50. Half the price of a BMD certificate.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Yes Kite I think it will have to wait!
                Thanks for your help though x

Comment

He could be the same as a Van Boy

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance James but what is a van boy?

Comment

I think Vanguard is the right transcription as we yesterday found one of my husband's grandmother's brothers aged 17 with the same occupation. We did download the image and for him it says "Vanguard G W R London". I assume GWR is Great Western Railway, and he was employed to guard the vans, maybe mail vans or some other valuable cargo.
                      He was living in Barking, Essex. Hope this helps.
                      :D Carolyn

Comment

Thank you Carolyn that explains it, its supprising that it isn't listed anywhere on the 'old job' websites.
                        Thank you again x

Comment

If he was living at Barking he perhaps didn't travel all the way to Paddington to work. The GWR had a goods depot at Smithfield Market.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X