Is Ancestry going to get 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ancestry going to get 1911

Will they get it later in year does anyone know please.
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

No, Patti, Ancestry won't have it, or at least not for many years!

1911 is owned jointly at the moment by TNA, Brightsolid and FMP and is on a dedicated site for the foreseeeable future, pay per view, to give everyone an equal, if expensive, chance to access it.

No doubt FMP will eventually take ownership of it, but again, not for a few years, until all parties concerned have recouped their costs and made a profit.

OC

Comment

I will have to wait until April, as my Ancestry sub runs out, and might sub to FMP instead.
      www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
      http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

Chrissy

If you are hoping FMP will have the 1911, they won't, not for a few years.

As I said, the 1911 is jointly owned by several interested parties and until they have ALL had their money back and a bit more, FMP won't have exclusive rights, nor will it be available through subscription.

OC

Comment

So the only way is to pay as you go ( which is £6.95 for 30 credits) and to look at the transcripts is 10 credits and to view orginal is 20, if I read it right.

Still going to cost an arm and a leg:(

Comment

Chrissy

Yes, that's it in a nutshell! TNA were anxious that EVERYONE should get an equal chance to access the information.

If I remember rightly, the 1901 census was on a dedicated site for three years before it was sold off to Ancestry etc. The dedicated site was pay per view.

OC

Comment

Then didn't Genes takeover the site for £3m or similar??

Comment

It's 30 credits to view the original image, not 20. It works out a bit cheaper if you buy 280 credits in one go, and also if you have a promotion code to use.

Also worth finding out all you can from the free search before deciding to use credits - for instance, if you've found someone you think is the right person, do another free search to find people with the same surname in the same household. For instance, you search for Harriet Smith age about 45 born in Norwich, and when you find a match for her in Ipswich, you then do another search for surname Smith, living in Ipswich, in the same household as Harriet Smith. (This is just a made-up example.) Of course if the names are quite common you can end up looking at more than one household but you can then search again picking out one of the other names to check, and so on.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Chrissy

Yes, that's it in a nutshell! TNA were anxious that EVERYONE should get an equal chance to access the information.

If I remember rightly, the 1901 census was on a dedicated site for three years before it was sold off to Ancestry etc. The dedicated site was pay per view.

OC

Looks like I will have to wait a bit longer then :(

Comment

geniedi

Yes, that's right, GR bought it but the site still stands alone, (rather pointlessly), as Ancestry also have the 1901.

OC

Comment

aaah ok, I took advantage of the preview at Christmas and got two key Census, so that was good,will have to save save save for the rest now.
                      regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                      for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

Just been on the 1911 site and it looks good, taken one full extract and the extra info is good, number of children, years married etc. Does anyone know why the column showing Infirmity is blanked out?

Just a word of caution though, it's a bit on the expensive side and you can use your credits very quickly if your not careful......

Comment

Originally posted by BourneGooner View Post
                          Does anyone know why the column showing Infirmity is blanked out?
                          Data protection legislation. This sort of personal information is still subject to the 100-year rule.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            Data protection legislation. This sort of personal information is still subject to the 100-year rule.
                            Ah ... so you'll have to wait a couple of years to find out whether there's insanity in the genes !!!!! ;)
                            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that Uncle John. Seems a bit odd when you can find out all the other personal information before the 100 year rule and yet they surpress that. I guess I'll just have to wait another couple of years to find out if my family has any "Imbecile" or "Feeble Minded" people in it, the wife thinks it may be heriditary and may explain some of my thinking or lack of it!!!!!!

Comment

I think the early release of the basic data was because of a loophole in the Freedom of Information Act, but the sensitive data was still protected. As has been said ad nauseam elsewhere, the Scottish FoI Act does not contain the loophole.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Update And Correction - Important

I need to correct something I said earlier today!

I have just seen a post on GR by someone who has emailed FMP to find out when the 1911 will be part of their subscription package.

They replied that they hope it will be later THIS YEAR.

(I am very surprised, as I thought TNA and Brightsolid would want to protect their financial interests for at least a year, but there you go, obviously I was wrong)

OC

Comment

geniedi

Yes, that's right, GR bought it but the site still stands alone, (rather pointlessly), as Ancestry also have the 1901.

OC
                                    Complete cheapskates like me can use the search engines via TNA for 1841-1891 for Ancestry, but have to use the Genes site for 1901. To look at 1901 on Ancestry I have to find a library with access to Ancestry.

This is presumably the first census for which access is not "free" as there is no alternative to digital images.
                                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                                      Complete cheapskates like me can use the search engines via TNA for 1841-1891 for Ancestry, but have to use the Genes site for 1901. To look at 1901 on Ancestry I have to find a library with access to Ancestry.

This is presumably the first census for which access is not "free" as there is no alternative to digital images.
                                      Have you tried the LDS at Hyde park they have access for free also open Sats and late night on Thursday.

Comment

I need to correct something I said earlier today!

I have just seen a post on GR by someone who has emailed FMP to find out when the 1911 will be part of their subscription package.

They replied that they hope it will be later THIS YEAR.

(I am very surprised, as I thought TNA and Brightsolid would want to protect their financial interests for at least a year, but there you go, obviously I was wrong)

OC
                                        Brightsolid bought FMP in 2007 so they are one and the same.

Comment

Working...
                                        X