X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry annual sub for £35?

Just seen this, is it any good or not

New Idea - Ancestry.com.au

Done a quick conversion and it's around the £35 mark.

It's a deal with a magazine so you might need to go via a new e-mail and username as it seems the deal is for new members only.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 13-01-09, 12:08.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

As my Ancestry sub was about to run out, I used this Oz discount one.

I used my usual e.mail addy to register, and it immediately came up with the message that I had already registered. So I stuck in my usual Ancestry password and away we went!

All done and dusted within 20 seconds.

I went back on Ancestry UK to cancel that sub and both subscriptions were listed - the UK one and the Oz one.

Comment

I also posted on general, there is a query re the total cost when Aus GST tax and VAT are added (although it seems that some peeps have only had to pay the GST).

Even with GST and VAT it should still be cheaper than the UK price via quidco but what the exact price ends up depends on the exchange rate too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Here's what you get for your dosh. Although see below Glen's point about tax. Sorry I couldn't import the nice wee table.

WORLD HERITAGE (comes out at £69 equivalent access in UK £155)
        All new worldwide content added to Ancestry.com.au each week
        Unlimited access to all records from the US, Canada and more
        Unlimited access to all Australian and UK record collections
        Connection into the world’s largest online family history community
        Hints in your tree when we discover details about your ancestors
        All the tools you need to build, grow and share your family tree online
        The ability to upload photos, documents and stories to your tree
        Shared access to your tree for family members

UK HERITAGE (comes out at £35 equivalent access in UK £107)
        Unlimited access to all Australian and UK record collections
        Connection into the world’s largest online family history community
        Hints in your tree when we discover details about your ancestors
        All the tools you need to build, grow and share your family tree online
        The ability to upload photos, documents and stories to your tree
        Shared access to your tree for family members

Australian version also doesn't make you pay more to access Parish Registers and the Incoming Passenger Lists. You get all UK stuff in the UK Heritage price. Dunno about Irish stuff though, suspect it may be in World Heritage, I haven't dug deep enough to find out.

The best I can do in the UK through Quidco is 25% off UK prices which means the UK prices would be £117 and £80 respectively. Seems that folks in Oz get it for less than us, even when they pay their full rates.

As long as the site accepts a UK credit card and doesn't suddenly tell you "hey! we can detect you are on a UK server" or somesuch then it seems a stonking bargain. You could have a year's worth of world access for less than the cost of a bog standard UK Essentials package.
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-01-09, 15:39.

Comment

LOL Glen, That's why I'm not an accountant!

What package did you pick bevandkev? What price was it including the tax?

Comment

I went for the simple UK Heritage one.

(No-one seemed to notice that I wasn't in Oz .............. :D)

Been billed for 86.23 dollars, which is £39.54.
            This obviously includes taxes of some description, but they are not mentioned on the confirmation mail.

Comment

My freebie courtesy of FTM comes to an end 22 March so I think I'll jump the gun and register for the world one later when I get home. The OH has connections in USA. Will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Just in case someone out there isn't talking about a certain census and might be looking for a cheap deal somewhere.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen, thanks so much for this posting, I really appreciated it. I have now been able to renew at an affordable price
                  Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by DeeSpangle View Post
                    Glen, thanks so much for this posting, I really appreciated it. I have now been able to renew at an affordable price
                    I reckon that makes three folks who have "done the deal" now, at this rate my commission charge should mean i can afford it too :D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I've just had a look and World Heritage is AU$ 172.48 including gst not mention of vat

Exchange rate seems to be $2.06 to the £ at the moment looks like that will work out around £79.
                      Last edited by Durham Lady; 13-01-09, 23:24.
                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

One last bump before i log off for the night.

If anyone does sign up as a result can they please add to the thread, it would be nice to know the thread has been a benefit.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Another bump for the late arrivals

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen,

I've also "done the deal" today.

Many thanks for the posting.

Audrey.
                            AUDREY

Comment

I'm thinking about the world sub. It's less than half price to getting it in this country.

Has anyone had any problems as yet?

Comment

I've just signed up too. Had some Christmas money, would not have done it at the UK price.

Comment

If anyone does fancy buying a second sub by accident i can offer it a good home :D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

think I'll have a go tomorrow Glen ..... have just had my ancestry reminder....renewal 2nd Feb. I'll let you know how I get on ........ got to get hubby's credit card off him first.

Jean
                                    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Hi Glen

Thanks for this. I renewed my subs on Monday but could not really afford it now and have just seen this, which will help right now, so I've cancelled and got a full refund.

I've not been able to do any research for almost 2 years as I was helping care for my mother that we lost 5months ago and I now feel the time is right to try and start my research again.

Claire

Comment

Thanks for this, Glen.

This looks like a good deal......but I took out a UK Heritage sub with the Oz site a few months ago, for around £52.

Would I be able to cancel that one and get a partial refund, and take out this Wordwide deal, I wonder .....??

I could do with saving some money, now the 1911 is out - that's going to drain the cash-flow, from yesterday's experience!!

Bee.
                                        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                                        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Working...
                                        X