query 1911 Census ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• query 1911 Census ?

Am I right in thinking that you had to list all your children whether living or dead. I have down loaded a census and only one child is named and I know there are 4 others. I do not have their BC the information was taken from previous census. I suspect once again some of the families that completed the census forms will have not completed all the relevant information.
    Also can any tell me if it is worth looking at the orginal page of the 1911 census do you get any more information than what is on the Transcript?
    GWEN

Gwen, they didn't have to put the names of all the children, only the ones who were there. Married women had to fill in the number of children born alive during their marriage, the number still living and the number who had died. They didn't have to include children who had been born outside of the marriage in these counts.

These numbers are only shown on the image of the page and not on the transcription, so if you want to see them then you do have to pay the extra credits to view the page. You also get to see the signature of the person who filled the form in.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Gwen - looking at the original also allows you to see any mistakes made during completion of the page.

In the case of my gt grandparents, my gt grandfather mistakenly put his own and his wife's date of birth in the parish and place of birth column and then crossed it out. This wouldn't have shown up in the transcript so looking at the image has meant that I can more or less confirm my great grandmother's ID now. That is a real bonus for me as she was a Mary Ann Green!

I noticed someone else here has posted something similar about dates of birth being mistakenly shown on the image too.
      Gillian
      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

There are also some widows, widowers etc who decided to fill in the number of children bit even though they didn't have to.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for all your comments was just reading and looking at the examples of 1911 census to get more keyed up on it.
          I have also just tried to buy some more credits but cannot find the box to complete to allow me my discount has any one else had this problem.
          GWEN

Comment

For got to say it is going to cost me a fortune if I look at the orginals. I know what I will be asking for my birthday!!!!!!
            GWEN

Comment

The discount box is on the original price page on the left. It is quite small. I think they call it a promotional code.

Let me know if you buy credits and then can use them on the 1911 site. I'm having problems at the moment.
              Kit

Comment

I couldn't make the discount code work last night :(

Kit - I was having problems and had to clear all my FMP and 1911 cookies and sign in again before it would let me pay for an image.
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I have at least three widows for whom I paid to see the original, and it was worth it!

They all filled in how long they would have been married and the number of children born alive and the number still living, although theoretically this wasn't required as it was only requested if the husband was still alive.

The enumerator in each case crossed through the extra information in read pen, but it is still legible.

I think it is worth paying for the extra information, although I'm not buying any more credits at present. I'm finding everyone I can, then I shall do them all when I'm feeling well off (my FMP subscription comes up for renewal tomorrow :()
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Kit I found the promotional box thanks so bought some credits and then went on to 1911 site and it showed no credits. I clicked on my account to see if there was anything I had to do to update. I could not see anything relevant but I did click on the digi view box to see standard of viewing on my computer and it jumped to another page and my credits changed from 0 to 280. So may be you could go to your account and amend something and click update to see if it works. Hope you are understanding this it is worth a try.
                    GWEN

Comment

I had the same problem but it updated after I logged out and logged in again
                      Margaret

Comment

I have more or less decided that I'll go for an image if I'm confident it will have several useful names on it, but save up singletons until later ... unless I convince myself that the other names will be too important to leave until next autumn (or whenever)!

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                        X