1911 census brings another mystery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census brings another mystery!

Well, those of you who remember my quest for my paternal grandfather's roots - John Nolan - ... which is on going... will now be interested to know, my maternal grandfather is also bringing up some mysteries!

My mum was horrified when I discovered her father was one of twins - she never knew! Arthur Hague was born 27th March 1907 in Stalybridge, having a twin brother John! Their father was John Hague, born 1871 in Rotherham, Yorkshire and their mother was Emily Lee, born 1872 in Stalybridge.
    I couldn't find any reference to my grandfather's twin dying early, so was looking forward to seeing if they were both still living in 1911.
    To my horror, I found the census to show, father John, mother Emily, son John and Emily's younger brother Leonard - but no sign of Arthur????
    It clearly states that Emily and John had been married 18 years and had 4 live children, three of which had died, and only one remained alive!

Can anyone help?? Was my grandfather really john? did arthur really die?
    My poor mum not only had to find out her dad was one of twins, but now in the 1911 census, he seems to have disappeared!

I can provide copies of documents if needed!

Can anyone help with this mystery?

Update: Just checked FREE BMD and found an Arthur died Sept 1907... could this be my Grandfather's brother? If so, why was his birth certificate Arthur? Gosh, this gets worse??

Thanks

Tracy
    Last edited by castanea1985; 13-01-09, 09:42.

There are two Arthur Hagues born in 1907 showing on Cheshire BMD. Does the occupation for the twins' father match the occupation for Arthur's father on Arthur's marriage certificate?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Possibly the Arthur who died in September 1907 was poorly for a while and not expected to live, therefore the new baby was given his name?

The birth cert you have - is it an original? Is there any possibility that it could have been amended at a later date?

OC

Comment

Looking at FreeBMD, there are two Arthur Hague births listed for Apr-Jun 1907, Ashton district, one with twin brother John (page number 567) and another one, page number 596. Then there is an Arthur Hague death in the following quarter, age 0. Could it be that the Arthur who was a twin died as a baby and your Arthur is the other one? It would explain why your mum didn't know her father was a twin!
        KiteRunner

Comment

He had his short birth certificate, so I sent for the full one.
          Everything matched! Even his wedding certificate tied in, for where they were living, which again matches this family in the 1911 census.

So I'm pretty sure its the same family!

Tracy

Comment

I think you would be best to get the Arthur Hague death certificate from Sep 1907 to see if it is the same Arthur. Perhaps later at some point they decided to call John jr Arthur because of his father being John as well, but it does seem a bit strange.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              I think you would be best to get the Arthur Hague death certificate from Sep 1907 to see if it is the same Arthur. Perhaps later at some point they decided to call John jr Arthur because of his father being John as well, but it does seem a bit strange.
              My thoughts exactly! Will send for it, or could see if there is anything for a burial for this Arthur at Castle Hall Church, Holy Trinity! That should give us the names of the parents.

Thanks!

Comment

Just to check - when you say he had his short birth certificate, do you mean "Certificate of Registry of Birth", filled in on the day that the birth was actually registered?
                KiteRunner

Comment

Well what a performance!! It just goes to show, you have to read the documents you buy carefully... don't trust the GRO to send the correct one!

Have just checked the birth cert I received from the GRO for my grandfather, and when I looked PROPERLY, I notice his birthday was a day out... so the last 6 months research... all gone to waste!!

Thank you again for everyone pointing out that it could be the other Arthur!!
                  Have just done a search on the other Arthur who came from Mossley... and there are both the sisters, that I couldn't find! LOL!

Well, I'll start again now!

Tracy

Comment

Surely a d.o.b. a day out isn't proof you've got the wrong person. There would need to be other things that didn't match.

My grandfather was named Frank. He was born a couple of months before his sickly sibling, also Frank, died. They had different middle names.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                    X