1911 Census and still a brickwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census and still a brickwall

To continue the saga of trying to find parentage, birthplace etc for my Mum, Gladys Dark.
    I have just found her on the 1911 Census. The only problem is that she was in Bideford Workhouse, aged 6, but place of birth column says NK, which I presume is 'not known'. There are no other Dark's showing at the same address so I do not think she was with other family members.
    JO

Oh dear - I hope it isn't a Charles Dickens Oliver scenario where they made a name up.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi JBee
      That has always been a possibility because there is no birth record at GRO or Bideford Registrars Office. Gladys Dark is the name she was known by on her school records in 1912-1917, when fostered by the Wise Family.
      Jo

Comment

Have you got her marriage certificate for her father's name?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

There's 2 Gladys Dark's born c1905 according to FreeBMD - Search

Gladys Louisa W Dark born Mar qtr 1904 Swindon Wiltshire - 5a 14

and

Gladys May Dark born Dec qtr 1906 Clutton Somerset - 5c 436

Comment

Thank you JBee for your suggestions - I have previously followed through on both these Gladys's and found marriage and/or death records, so I know they are not my Mum.
            I have unsuccessfully researched for over 10 years.
            On Mum's marriage cetificate, in 1930, her father is named as James Dark (deceased), Tailor or could be Sailor. This information was supplied by Mum's foster father/guardian so is possibly not accurate. I have tried to find a James Dark that fits but again drawn a blank. Mum also mentioned at one time that she thought her mother's name could have been Sarah - again I researched 3 Sarah Darks' but as yet have not found a link.
            Jo

Comment

Jo

Have you investigated the workhouse admissions book? There may be something in that to help you.

OC

Comment

Thankyou for the suggestion OCH.
                When I visited North Devon Records Office last year they said they did not have an admission book for Bideford. I did not realise, at the time, how important this could be in my research, so I will phone them to see if they have any records at all for 1905-1912.
                Apparently most of the records of Bideford Poor Law were destroyed in the War.
                Regards
                Jo

Comment

OCH
                  Sorry I forgot to add that I will also ask them if they have any medical records because Mum suffered a skull fracture in early childhood, possibly before her stay in Meddon Street
                  Jo

Comment

Working...
                  X