1911 census- OH's grandad has a place of birth that aint right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census- OH's grandad has a place of birth that aint right

My husbands grandad would never talk about his family. He left home to join the army in 1903. He said he wasnt wanted.

The GRO years ago helped us get his birth cert from the info on his marriage cert. Born about 1886, father Thomas Harrison (deceased).

This came up with Peter Harrison born in York in 1886, father Thomas mother Annie.

This fitted as Father in Law said that his dad was a yorkshireman.

Army records were no help as they said he was born in Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire. That is where he was living when called up again as a reservist in WW1.

1911 census says he was born in Rotherham.

I know its still Yorkshire, BUT??????????

I have checked FreeBMD and the 1901 and 1891. There are no Peter Harrisons born in Rotherham.

Do you think I am still on the right track with being born in York?

Have you tried checking that there isn't another match anywhere for the Peter born in York? Also, does the marriage cert give his father's occupation?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

As I just said on another thread

grandfather reckoned he was from Salford but was actually born in Burnley where they were living in 1901 census and according to 1911 census which his mum filled in she said he was born Oldham!!!! No wonder he was confused!!!

So I wouldn't accept it as gospel where your man was from!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I second what JBee says.
        My great-uncle is down on the 1901 and 1911 censuses as born in Cowes, Isle of Wight, yet his birth certificate states he was born in Hertfordshire.
        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Have you tried checking that there isn't another match anywhere for the Peter born in York? Also, does the marriage cert give his father's occupation?

Just checked that Kate.

No Peter Harrison's born in York at all. Just did Yorkshire as well, only seven. My man in Ashby is the only one who fits age wise. In fact there are only twelve born anywhere in the country with 1884-1888 year of birth.

The marriage cert only says father deceased, he was, he died in 1903 and the marriage was 1908.

Comment

J Bee and Sarah

Thank you, I hope I have the right man's birth cert. I have research on his "parents and grandparents"

Would hate to think I have made a huge error.

Comment

Oh Heck

Just realised that York and the East Riding of Yorkshire aren't on the 1911 census yet.

I'll have to bite my fingernails a bit longer. :(

Comment

Working...
              X