Are you my Grandad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you my Grandad?

I am starting to get itchy about who my Grandad was. On his marriage certificate in 1939 William Crutchley states that his father is John Crutchley deceased brickyard worker.

On his birth certificate Mother's maiden name Mary Foster on 18 May 1906. Notified by father Henry Crutchley brickyard labourer.

I have just checked the 1911 census and he isn't there with his mother and the person that has completed the form has stated that there are only 4 children which has been completed in the numerical column:

Ernest 17
    May 13
    John 9
    Edith 19

Am I being paranoid?
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

I think I'd be inclined to look around, just in case there is someone else who fits the bill better. - Not something you want to hear, I'm sure. :o

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Could he be staying with a relative or someone Pippa?
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I just don't know. The others aren't indexed on FMP so it was pot luck.
        Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

He looks like a Henry on the marriage details Pippa

Marriages Sep 1886
          CRUTCHLEY Henry Basford 7b 178
          FOSTER Mary Basford 7b 178

Is Foster a common local name do you know? My first hubby's mother was a local Foster.

Comment

Edith isn't with them in 1901 though is she and she would only be 9

Comment

Pippa, I saw this chap in 1901:

John Crutchley 22 Tunstall Staff Staffordshire Tunstall Brick Works Labourer

and then the same chap (well, b same place and right age) and he is in Notts, but it seems he has no other Crutchley's with him in the house, so I'm a bit stuck......

1911:

HOUSEHOLD CRUTCHLEY JOHN M 1879 32 Worksop Nottinghamshire

Comment

Does it just say 'full age' on his marriage cert Pippa......because he would be 33 which seems late unless it's a second marriage. I was thinking maybe he wasn't even born in 1911 .... or am I being stupid .... again...... you probably know how old he is.

I think if there's a 'John' around, who's a brickyard worker .... maybe as Christine says, you just might have got the wrong parents

Jean
                Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Pippa - Are you 100% certain of your granddad's death reg? And when was that??

I agree with Jean......33 was fairly old for a first marriage, or maybe it wasn't a first marriage?

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                    I am starting to get itchy about who my Grandad was. On his marriage certificate in 1939 William Crutchley states that his father is John Crutchley deceased brickyard worker.

On his birth certificate Mother's maiden name Mary Foster on 18 May 1906. Notified by father Henry Crutchley brickyard labourer.

I have just checked the 1911 census and he isn't there with his mother and the person that has completed the form has stated that there are only 4 children which has been completed in the numerical column:

Ernest 17
                    May 13
                    John 9
                    Edith 19

Am I being paranoid?
                    Thinking about the birth cert you have, even if it's the wrong one for your family (not saying it is!), still means that the above family have got confused with their numbers. We know they had a fifth child, wherever he is.

Where in Mansfield district was their son William born?

Comment

There is no death ref for the John Merry found up to March 1929 on Free BMD.
                      Maybe it would be worth looking between 1929 and 1939 for that John's death?

Comment

Not unusual for children not to be at home, especially if another child is due to appear soon.

My gran and her brother were staying with their Mum's parents on census night 1901

Comment

Pippa my great aunt was not at home for the 1911, she was 6. I know she hadn't died as my Dad lived with her many years later.

Her parents may also have misread the form and only put the number of children at home rather than the total number of children.
                          Kit

Comment

Working...
                          X