Persons place of Employment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persons place of Employment.

Hi to you all, please can any one help me with some information on how i can trace a persons place of employment in 1881? I'm fairly new to ancestry and don't know where to start to a search. Many thanks Teresa.

Welcome to FTF!

Not quite sure what you're after in the 1881 census. The occupation is usually given, but employees didn't usually specify the employer's name.
    You might find something by looking at the Historical Maps site (with late-C19th Ordnance Survey replicas). (Can only find the selling site: The Godfrey Edition - Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Index. I will look further)
    You might find something by using the Historical Directories site. Historical Directories
    Local Records Offices sometimes have online catalogues - or their catalogues can be searched using A2A http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/ or TNA's aggregate search facility: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s...earch.aspx?j=t

If you have a particular region or industry, there may be something useful in the FTF Wiki?

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 12-01-09, 19:16.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine, thanks for the info and reply. I'm trying to trace if one of my ancestors was employed for a person at a Park estate. His employment was a farm labourer and his 1881 census address is stated as living either within the estate possibly as an employee with his family or just outside the estate in a seperate dwelling. The estates name is Newton Park, Newton Solney. My ancestor was John Spencer, born 1844 in Bretby, Derbyshire. Many thanks Teresa.

Comment

This is the old maps website I was thinking of:
        Old-Maps - the online repository of historic maps - home page

You can get sight of the part of the map in which you're interested - and you can buy from them, too.

I think that Genuki has maps, too.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Teresa

Newton Solney is in Derbyshire. Try contacting the local studies library in Irongate, Derby. They may be able to help you.

Comment

Hi Christine and Margaret. Thanks for your replies and info. I have had a browse through the links you gave me and have found them interesting and helpful. I have contacted a few connections you gave me in your links and i am awaiting a reply from them, i will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help. Teresa.

Comment

Working...
            X