1911 census help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census help please

I am wailing as I can't find my Grandad on the 1911 census. He was born in 1906 so he should be there. His name is William Crutchley born in Mansfield, Notts.
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Do you know his parents' names? You could try looking for them and checking the household. Of course its likely Crutchley has been mistranscribed. Crotchley perhaps or Cruchley?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes check the spellings

I couldn't find a Lily but written as Lillie found her and her family.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

His mother Mary use to be Polly and she was widowed in 1909 so anything could have happened!
        Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

There's supposed to be a formidable wildcard option, but,unfortunately, I'm not sure it's working yet... or, rather, I'm pretty sure it's not working yet.

Wildcard searching allows you to replace letters or sequences of letters with an asterisk (*), if you are unsure of how a name was spelt, or can't find it with the usual spelling.

A wildcard can be used at the beginning of a word, where it is especially useful as capital letters in cursive writing are more likely to be transcribed incorrectly (although the site has a transcription accuracy of 98.5 per cent).

For example, if you search for William Lancaster and you type in William *caster, the search will return a list of results that include names such as William Doncaster or William Hilcaster - as well as William Lancaster.

You can also use two wildcards to search for a string of letters such as *ollin*, if you are perhaps looking for a Rollind or a Collins.

The wildcard can be used within all search fields, apart from ones which contain the drop-down menus.
          Moreover, they have a variants option, too - or will have...
          Even if you are sure that you have the correct name of your ancestor, they may not be recorded exactly as you’d expect. It’s not uncommon for the spelling of a name to change as it is passed down through the family, or your ancestor may have gone by a different name in everyday life to the one they were christened with and used on the form.

The variants option will automatically check the name you have entered against a database of alternative spellings, abbreviations and diminutives, and return these variants in the search results. So, for example, it will return ‘Elisabeth’ if you entered ‘Elizabeth’, ‘Smyth’ and ‘Smythe’ along with ’Smith’, ‘Sally’ along with ‘Sarah’ and ‘Polly’ with ‘Mary’.
          Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 12-01-09, 20:02.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a William Crutchley, born 1906, at Stafford Staffordshire, Pippa.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Another in Birminghmam.

Check them with his parents names. If you put his mum or dad's name in the box you will have an idea if it is him or not.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yes I tried putting just the christian name in - as wasn't sure what surname she might be using and it wouldn't let me.

Cost me 3 payments so far for 2 results so quite expensive.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

There is also a William Henry at Newcastle under Lyme.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

I can't find his brother John Henry born in 1901 either!

Comment

I'm still wailing as wildcard searches are not getting me very far either!

Comment

This looks like Mary's death:

Deaths Sep 1927
                        Crutchley Mary 61 Mansfield 7b 105

Comment

The wildcard is definitely not working

Comment

I am jumping up and down!!! I demand that FMP correct their error. I took a hunch and looked for one of Polly's brother's that just happens to be the one that they are living with. But William is not there. Why would he not be with his Mummy?

I demand that FMP offer a discount to all the members of this site to make up for this:D
                            Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-01-09, 20:41.

Comment

There's a Mary Cruchley, Mansfield, 42 and possible children Edith 19, Ernest 17, May 13, and John 9. No William showing on the search page though.
                              Fiona. xx

Comment

Where are you my William? I will look again later and I am still waiting for all the benefits for members of this site:D

Comment

Could he be in the Army/Navy = these haven't been scanned yet.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                    The wildcard is definitely not working
                                    FMP have said that it is not switched on yet. The Q&A on the 1911 site lets you know what is available at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                    X