X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage/Divorce help needed please.

Just found my great uncle on the 1911 census but it has given me a problem,
    he says he's divorced.
    I know that on the 1901 he was unmarried. So I pressume he was married and divorced within a 10 year span of 1901-1911.

Name: Henry Sutherland Tucker
    Born: 1866, Islington, London
    Census: 1901- 18, Wilton Road, Dalston ... Accountant .... Single
    Census: 1911- 62, Nightingale Road, Clapton ... Statistical Clerk .... Divorced

My eyes have glazed over looking for a marriage and divorce ... can anyone help me please?
    NB He doesn't seem to use his middle name of Sutherland or the inital letter S.

Viv
    Last edited by Viv; 12-01-09, 19:30. Reason: added info
    ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

There are quite a few Henry Tuckers married in London between 01 and 11. But how can i match them up to the right one? Got any clues at all?
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Jules, I tried FreeBMD to find possible spouses and The National Archives catalogue for divorces (J77) but no joy. I did wonder about about looking in The Times but can't find a suitable free link.
      Viv
      ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

He didn't seem to use his middle name either .... it was a very unusual name which could have aided my search for him!

Viv
        ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Not sure how good this will be GovMarriageRecordsUK.com - Comprehensive Online Marriage and Obituaries Record Searches I did a search on Henry Sutherland Tucker and Year of beith etc. But you will need to register. Might be worth a try?
          Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Hallo Viv

I've checked on the Times online site and got nothing!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Had a quick look at the site but you have to pay to register.
              ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Cheers Nell, another *blinking* Tucker. LOL
                ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Originally posted by Viv View Post
                  Had a quick look at the site but you have to pay to register.
                  Typical, it says it's free. Always spoil it don't they !!
                  Jules

Comment

Jules, it is an American site and they want your dollars ! Thank-you anyway for looking for me though.
                    Viv
                    xxx
                    ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Its an earlyish date for divorce, still quite expensive and socially unacceptable. Intriguing!

Comment

I know Nell, he wouldn't put divorced if he wasn't! Now I'm all of another dither .... blinking Tuckers ... I'm sure they like telling lies to muck me about!!!

Any idea where I'd get the divorce papers if he was telling the truth?

Viv
                        ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

It should be on TNA site - search the catalogue with J77 as the catalogue reference. If you put in Tucker for J77 it comes up with 114 matches but if you put in Henry AND Tucker there are only 10 matches and none looks like him.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite Runner,
                            Have already done that. (see post no3 )

Not being able to find the divorce has rather scupperd my plans for finding his wife .... I can't see a reason for him to lie about being divorced though.:(

I do know that this is the correct person and address because he was there in 1907 when his father died and was an executor of the will, which has been proved and bears the same address.

*pulls at hair and screams loudly*
                            ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Is it possible he got married and divorced in another country, then returned to England?
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

This is a really wild card....is it possible he was "mistaken" about his marital status in 1901 and was divorced by then? I don't recall ever seeing "divorced" for marital status on a census prior to 1911.

If it is possible he was already divorced, there is a petition in 1893 (I think!) for someone called just [-] TUCKER. (Presume the initials are unreadable).

OC

Comment

I was wondering the same as OC, but more along the lines that as he was with his parents in 1901 his father might have refused to put "divorced" for his son as "what would the enumerator have to say about that?" !!

On the other hand there isn't an obvious marriage.......

Comment

Merry

He may well have put divorced on the household form but the enumerator changed it to unmarried, not having instructions to record divorces!

OC

Comment

Thanks for that OC and Merry .... I will have to look further back I think.
                                      Oh, why couldn't he have used his middle name more but I can understand why he didn't, who'd want a middle name like that?!:o LOL
                                      ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Did he marry again, Viv?

Comment

Working...
                                        X