Bankruptcy advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy advice

A while ago I found out that my Great Grandparents changed their name from Taylor to Jackson when they moved from Redruth, Cornwall to Wales sometime in the late 1870s.
    Today, I was told they changed their name because my Great Grandmother had gone bankrupt and they didn't want the shame to follow them.
    It seems unusual to me that a woman would have had a business in those days, am I right that it was only men who would have been in business?
    Also, if possible where would I get information regarding a bankruptcy at this time or would this be too early for records to have been kept?

It was slightly unusual for a woman to have a business but by no means unheard of.

Bankruptcy records have been kept since the year dot (well, long before the time you want anyway).

Bankruptcies (Insolvencies) were usually announced in the Gazette, which used to be searchable on line - through the Gale site???

If not, there would have been an announcement in the local paper, which would either have been the Western Morning News, or the West Briton.

OC

Comment

Hi,

I have had success finding my ancester's who were declaired banckrupt on the London Gazetta Site. It includes cases from the whole of England (and Wales?).

London Gazette Home Page
      Families Intrested in
      Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Thanks both.
        I have to dash out a minute, shouldn't be long, I'll take a look then.

Comment

One of my great grandmothers had a coppersmith business employing several men in London which she took over when her husband died in the 1860s. Her sister owned a shop as did a gt gt grandmother from another line around the same time so it can't have been that unusual.
          Robert

Comment

In the early 1800s there was a woman running a business in Sheila Hancock's family.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Perhaps "Businesswomen" might be a future magazine theme?

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                If not, there would have been an announcement in the local paper, which would either have been the Western Morning News, or the West Briton.

OC
                Was the West Briton a Welsh paper?

It caught my eye as it is the first time I have seen Briton used other than the North British Hotel in Edinburgh.

Hugo

Comment

Hugo

No, it is a Cornish newspaper, still in publication today. The word Briton doesn't seem all that unusual to me?

OC

Comment

Sorry everyone haven't long got in, so thank you all for your advice, will look at things tomorrow.
                    Too tired now.

Comment

Had a look on the papers, but haven't found anything, thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X