Printing a list of folder's contents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing a list of folder's contents

I would like to make a spreadsheet of reports, census, BMDs etc for each family and I thought it would be easier to work on paper first - instead of flipping back and forward between screens, before entering it into the computer. The end goal is to see what duplicates I have, and what info I am missing.

So, are there any tricks on how to print out a list of items contained in a file/folder? If I remember correctly, the last time I did anything like this I took a 'screen shot', scrolled along and took another etc. Ended up with about 5 captured screens for each folder (over 3 pages) - like to avoid that if I can.

Should point out that my info is still on my Windows98 computer. If needed I could probably copy everything to the Vista and then do the printouts, but wanted to get everything sorted out before I transferred.

Get out of windows, to dos. Not sure about windows98 .. I'm on xp pro .. but probably under start-programs-accessories there will be one called 'command prompt' or something like that. This will take you out to DOS. Locate to the directory you want then enter

dir /o /a:-d /b >fname.txt

then enter 'exit'; this will take you back into windows.

Locate to the above mentioned directory, right-click on fname.txt and select open with and select excel from the list.

Hope this helps.

Lynda

For 'fname' use any name that would be meaningful to you.

Comment

Margeret,

Assuming everything you want to list is either on your desktop or in your My Documents (including subfolders) download the attached file to your desktop (on the win98 machine) and double click on it... 2 files should then appear on your desktop containing directory listings

Hope this helps

edit: cant attach the file here - click on this link instead and choose to save the file -> Squeakerslair
      https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Lynda,

I'm going to try Grim's scenario first before I venture into the world of DOS - this computer is on it's last legs and has several quirks that I have managed to work around, but don't want to try anything that is new to me at this point.

Grim - I have done as you said and it seems to have worked a treat. Much easier that flipping back and forward on the computer and I can make notes on the paper as I go along.

Comment

excellent news, just glad i had a w98 machine to hand
          https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
          X