Brickwall Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall Time

Hi all,I have been researching Cottingham's of Sussex for some time now and have got back to James Cottingham born 1746 Buxted married Sarah Simmonds 1767,this I am happy with but I cannot see any further path to follow beyond these dates.The trouble I think is I don't know where this James family came from.Could anybody shed any light? Brian

I take it you have found his baptism, to know where he was born?

The accepted research path backwards, is to investigate neighbouring parishes in a five mile radius. You will have to do some mini trees along the way! If this yields nothing, then increase to a ten-mile radius and so on.

Depending on the status of your ancestors, people could not move freely from parish to parish in those days, but needed a Settlement Order. Not all survive, but those which do are usually a gold mine of information.

OC

Comment

Would agree with OC's suggestions.

Was Sarah Simmonds OTP (of this parish) when she married. Baptismal records will usually tell you whether people marrying were OTP or from another parish. If OTP, not necessarlly were they born there but worth checking, but if from another parish the parish is usually named and that is a wonderful help.

Janet

Comment

Thanks for some ideas,I have'nt found his baptism and I think that is the major problem.Sarah married in Chailey but I think they both were from Buxted but were they born there that is the question? Brian

Comment

Is this any help? (I don't know the area at all):

Conveyance (Bargain and Sale). HIC/133 5 June 1734

Contents:
          Consideration: £70
          (a) James Cottingham of Ditchling, blacksmith, Henry Morley of Clayton, thatcher, Elizabeth Peirce of Twineham, wid., John Harland of Hurstpierpoint and Mary his w., to (b) James Hillman of Twineham, husb.
          Premises as in HIC/130.
          Witnesses: Edward Box, John Scutt, William Hillman, Henry Morley, Elizabeth Pierce and John Cottingham.
          The National Archives | Access to Archives

Comment

Working...
          X